Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

December 8th, 2008 14:00

Windows XP x64 and Vostro 1710

Hi everyone,

Is Dell supporting Windows XP x64 for the Dell Vostro 1710 ? I'm presently using Windows XP x32 right now and I would like to upgrade so I can use my 4 GB of RAM.

I've tried with Windows Vista Ultimate 64 but I decided I'm going to wait a little more to use it. Had to do a lot of research for the drivers and even when I had entirely configured the OS I still had ocasional little problems like the the laptop not coming back from sleep. If I'm going to switch I'd like to have support :)

Thanks !
Regards

14.4K Posts

December 9th, 2008 05:00

You will not get support from Dell. Dell will only provide support  1. If the system shipped with it. 2. Drivers are on the drivers and download page. Since it appears in your case that both are not true, then you will on your own if you change.

6 Posts

December 9th, 2008 05:00

Hi Davet50,

thanks for your answer.

Ok, I understand. Now, I have a 64 bit system with 4 GB of ram. Of those 4 GB, I can only access 3 GB due to my Windows Vista 32-bit OS. I want an option to use my entire 4 GB that uses at least device drivers from the Dell page so I won't run into too many unexpected troubles. Isn't Dell giving an option for me ?

Thanks !
Regards

14.4K Posts

December 9th, 2008 06:00

You will never utilize more than 3.5 gigs of ram when running a 32 OS. The max memory for a 32 bit system is 4 gigs. Out of that 4 gigs the system will reserve memory for the video card up to the amount of ram on it, the sound, pci devices, and other system hardware and such. As a result the amount of free memory can range from 2.5 to 3.5 gigs.

The only way to Fully utilize 4 gigs of ram an up is to switch to a 64 bit system.  You said you did have it running but had a few issues, if you check the drivers and download page for your system and look at the 32 bit drivers listed click on them and look at the compatability. A lot of 32 bit drivers are actually both 32 bit and 64 bit.

6 Posts

December 9th, 2008 07:00

Hi Davet,

I think I'll give a try to the Windows XP x64. Has anyone had any experience with the Windows XP x64 build with the Vostro 1710 ?

Thanks !

Regards

14.4K Posts

Here's my gut feeling on that. Dell at the present is not selling these machines with the option to go with 64 bit, more than likely due to them being in the business catagory. Most business users at the present are not in a hurry to switch.

So my feeling is untill 64 bit becomes more and more mainstream in the business sector like in the home sector Dell will only continue to offer these systems in either 32 bit vista or the downgrade to XP.

If you feel like experimenting you could try loading a key couple of items from the download page onto the 64 bit build. The ones I would suggest would be the notebook system software and the second listing under the chipset. While they will more than likely install whether they will make a difference would remain to be seen.  

6 Posts

Hi Davet,

Yeah, that's right. In my case, Windows XP x32 and Vista x32 only recognize 3 GB of RAM, and I was expecting that, it's ok.

Referring to the drivers availability, what I wanted to know is if Dell is supplying 64 bits officially for my Vostro. I mean, For sure I can look into the page, and there's a high probability that I can find every driver I need on the Internet. What I don't want to do is to lose a lot of time fixing little glitches on vital features. For example, I had the hardest time with the sleep feature on Vista x64, that hanged my PC every time I waked it up.

Thanks !
Regards

No Events found!