Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 14th, 2012 08:00

Windows update not available/working after Dell restore

I have an Inspiron 1545 purchased in 2010, recently the hard drive started givig out.

I imaged the recovery partitions, purchased a new drive restored the recovery partitions to that, the used the dell recovery software to rebuild the laptop to factory state.

This all worked a dream.

However I am unable to access/use Windows Update.

I chose the recommended download and apply etc during the config steps, but when I attempt to use it there is red cross, and clicking chck for updates brings up a message saying the update service is not running, you may need to restart.

No amount of restarts, enabling the service or anything else changes this.

I wondered if when I remove McAfee something went wrong, so restored from image again and didn't remove - still the same.

Anyone know what the problem is, and more importantly the solution?

Thanks

Tom

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

July 14th, 2012 08:00

What Operating System, Windows 7 64 bit? What Service Pack?

4 Posts

July 14th, 2012 09:00

Sorry, yes I should have included these points.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

No service pack - in fact I can't install the service pack, I downloaded it manually hoping to get round the issue that way it fails.

Tom

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

July 14th, 2012 13:00

Hmmm, that was what I was going to suggest. Have you tried a repair install using your Windows Reinstallation DVD?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 14th, 2012 14:00

Tom,

You can try reading...

How to Repair Windows 7 Update Issues

or

Windows Updates failing in Windows 7 {SOLUTION}

Not sure if this will help or not,

Rick

4 Posts

July 15th, 2012 05:00

I'm afraid I've already tried the second option, no difference, so just rule anything out I restored again.

I've now tried the first - both parts, still no difference.

Just trying a windows repair from F8

Tom

2 Posts

August 3rd, 2012 19:00

any news on this , i had the same exact thing happen fighting with it now a couple days....

2 Posts

August 4th, 2012 12:00

unreal finally got it , windows wouldnt update, couldnt connect to a homegroup in windows 7,  updated intel rapid store drivers and everything started working

iata_enu_10.8.0.1003.exe fixed mine.

No Events found!