Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 13th, 2011 17:00

Won't Load User Profile

I recently returned my disk to the factory image. Everything worked fine for a few days then Windows Update installed some updates overnight and rebooted my computer. When I came in the next day my user icon was on the screen and when I clicked it I got the message

The user Profile Service service failed the logon.

User profile cannot be loaded.

OK

When I clicked OK it took me back to my user icon.

I booted in Safemode and got a similar message about my user profile not being able to be loaded but in this case the system loaded the "default" profile.

I've looked around but haven't found where Windows hides its list of installed updates so possibly I can determine which one did me in.

Has anyone run into the problem and (hopefully) knows of a solution?

I'm running Vista on a Dimension E521.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

May 13th, 2011 19:00

Have you completely powered off and then rebooted, or have all your reboots been warm "re-starts"? Try that first.

Reboot and press F8. Pick "Last Known Good" from the menu. If that works, shut down normally and reboot normally. You will probably have to reinstall those updates after using Last Known Good. Personal files won't (shouldn't) be affected by Last Known Good.

Ron

2 Posts

May 14th, 2011 19:00

I've tried hard boots with no change. I tried your idea of "Last Known Good" but got the same results. But that got me thinking. I had created some restore points as I loaded applications. I booted in Safemode, went to system restore, and restored the system to a point I knew was before the updates and got my system back. Sure makes an argument for setting restore points. Thanks for your help and giving me the idea. BTW, I've set Windows Update to ask before it installs any updates in the future.

Ric

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

May 15th, 2011 12:00

:emotion-21:

No Events found!