Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 20th, 2004 17:00

XP Pro e-mail notifications on user screen

I am a new user of XP Pro.  When I am on the user log-on screen, the number of unread e-mails for each user displays.  How do I get rid of this notification.  (I'm a MSN account with DSL).  Also,  when I go to the User accounts I see a user named ASP.NET with password protection  --  I did not set up this user!! Where did it come from and should I delete??

266 Posts

February 20th, 2004 18:00

Do a search in Help and Support.  There are a bunch of MS Knowledge Base articles which explain what it is and how it works.  Fundamentally, it is the means by which you can allow a remote commuter to check out your machine and software so that sound technical advice can be given to you.  You must grant permission for that remote user to access the account and hence to access your machine.  If you ever expect to seek online support (via Microsoft or some other of the support groups which have the capacity for this), you probably would want to keep it so that the support tech could directly access your computer to determine what is wrong. 

100 Posts

February 20th, 2004 19:00

fharris2519,

To rid the user log-on screen of the unread e-mails notification, download Microsoft's free Tweak UI (Tweak the User Interface) application.  Once you have installed the program, expand the Logon branch, click on Unread Mail, and uncheck "Show unread mail on Welcome screen".  The next time you reboot your computer the changes will take effect.  If there are multiple user accounts, repeat the procedure for each.

2 Intern

• 

18.8K Posts

February 20th, 2004 20:00

fharris2519,

For the unread mail prompt an alternative to TweakUI is the little script here. If your antivirus program is set to block script execution you will need to give permission for this one to run.

You can find the information on the asp.net account in this post.

No Events found!