Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 4th, 2008 05:00

XP or Vista?! I need your help!!!

I'm looking to purchase a new Dell desktop and am trying to decide whether I should get it with a Vista operating system or get one with an XP operating system (with a Vista upgrade as a bonus per Dell's special offer). I've heard there have been many problems with Vista so I'm kind of weary of it.

Anyway, I need your help in helping me decide which way to go: Vista or XP.

Which OS do you prefer? Which OS do you currently use? What are the pros and cons of Vista? When does Microsoft plan to work out all the kinks with Vista?

Which OS would you recommend me getting when I purchase my new desktop?

Please help! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

1.1K Posts

December 4th, 2008 06:00

I use VISTA on all my pcs at home, I use XP PRO at work.  Some of our work machines are VISTA, but the one's I use are XP PRO.

I prefer VISTA as it seems to run, for me anyway, just as well as XP.  I don't have the issues of programs or peripherals not working as everything I have works just as well on VISTA as XP.  Since XP is going to be phased out, I would rather use VISTA as at least i should have another 3 or 4years of support.

Since WINDOWS 7 is on the horizon, it's more VISTA like than XP like so I like the idea of having a step up on those that have yet to experience VISTA.  The kinks you refer too seem to have been worked out, but I truly believe many of the problems were user created.  I started with VISTA in Feb of 2007 and I still have yet to see the myriad issues that people complained about.

Sure you might have to run a program as an ADMIN to get it to work properly but after 2 or 3 clicks and setting it to admin you do not need to touch it again, so it's not like it's a major incovenience. 

Several programs we use at work on the XP machines we also use on the VISTA machines and we were told that they wouldn't work.  I guess we either know what to do, or we got lucky.  I will admit that we had to write a couple batch files and install them as an admin, but hey they worked. 

It's really up to you.  Many will say VISTA, many will say XP.  But my vote is for VISTA.  Wait till you see what many others feel and decide from there.

December 4th, 2008 16:00

Thanks.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 4th, 2008 17:00

baseballnut020

I'm using both Vista and XP [Professional & Home Edition] and have satisfied with their performance and had no issues with either, except those of my own making.   When I buy a replacement system next year, it will have either Vista, or if released, Windows 7.

Bev.

4 Posts

December 4th, 2008 18:00

The only problems i ever had with vista were when i tried to upgrade an old computer to vista from XP pro.  It had some hardware issues and some software issues but that puter was a couple of years prior to vista.  Since then i have put xp pro back on that system and it works great like it used to.

I have a recent laptop that has vista installed on it and it works flawlessly.  So in my opinion newer hardware that is vista certified will do fine. It's only when you use outdated or incompatible hardware / software that you will see issues. Since you are going to buy new i doubt you see any issues unless you try to marry older equip ( printers, etc ) with the newer system. 

hope this helps,

Gary

December 4th, 2008 20:00

A couple of you have mentioned Windows 7. When does Microsoft plan to release it? Will it be three or four years down the line since they just released Vista a year or two ago or are they planning on releasing it within the next year or so?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 4th, 2008 21:00

A couple of you have mentioned Windows 7. When does Microsoft plan to release it? Will it be three or four years down the line since they just released Vista a year or two ago or are they planning on releasing it within the next year or so?

See HERE

Bev.

December 5th, 2008 01:00

[quote user="baseballnut020"]

See HERE

Bev.

[/quote]

Thanks.

32 Posts

December 5th, 2008 12:00

Have WinXP, WinXP Pro, and had Vista Premium SP1.

Vista seems to be MS's repeat of ME...................remember that one?

With a lot of help, Windows 7 will be to Vista what WinXP was to ME.  I hope that it is not just another CASH COW for MS.

Bought the Vista machine with a Core Duo processor so my wife could sit with a laptop and do whatever when ever.  Great speed with wireless N, would not let her into her online email account, would not let her what abc.com, and several other issues.   MS could not come up with the answer for their own email account problem.

Now the same machine has WinXP Pro and it real is faster and none of the previously mentioned problems are here this OS.

If you buy now...........get XP............or wait until the new OS is out.   Like ME, Vista is just a new system that will not be fixed until it is replaced.

2 Posts

December 5th, 2008 15:00

I purchased my xps 420 with vista home premium,had some software not compatable with vista so i was able to install second hard drive with xp,problems solved

No Events found!