Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

March 24th, 2007 02:00

XP sp#2 fails during cleanup -- what to do???

I have an Dimension 8300, 512Mb ram, and have XP Pro with sp#1 installed. I've tried twice so far to install sp#2, and both times it failed -- in the same spot. It takes about 3 hours for the machine to get to the point during cleanup, where I get a message about the installation failing with the updating of ntdll.dll -- I get the message about sending microsoft an error report, but nothing to suggest if I can live with the state of the machine at the time (is XP stable at that point?). The first time I tried doing the install, it was via Windows Update about three weeks ago. This second time was today, using the 266 mb file that I downloaded from Microsoft's web site. Both times, I was able to recover by going into the control panel and doing an uninstall of sp#2. Any thoughts/ideas/etc? I'm getting a bit frustrated, since MS doesn't have anything on their support web site that covers this, as far as I can tell...and my machine is old enough for them to demand money for any type of support. thanks.

9 Posts

I don't know if I do have BIOS A07 on my machine. (I'm on it right now). I'll check shortly to see if I do, when I'm done using the computer tonight. If I don't, I'll have to find out where to get this BIOS. (Would the BIOS actually keep the sp#2 update from really working properly? The machine didn't crash...just came up with the abort message while update was running). I'll also follow the link you supplied to see what it has to offer. Thanks!

3.2K Posts

Do you have BIOS A07? . . it corrected for a problem with the Prescott procesors and SP2.  Also see this for more ideas on preparing for SP2

Message Edited by simpswr on 03-23-2007 10:10 PM

3.2K Posts

March 24th, 2007 12:00

9 Posts

March 24th, 2007 13:00

Ok...I've checked my machine a few times... I have the A01 BIOS on my machine. (Never thought about doing any upgrade/checking the BIOS on this box, since I haven't had any issues come up, outside of the battery needing replace a month ago). By upgrading to the A07 BIOS, do you think it will let me complete the SP2 install? (again, the abort happens during the cleanup phase, when it tries to do something with ntdll.dll -- the machine doesn't hang at this point). Thanks for the help.

3.2K Posts

March 24th, 2007 14:00

Either the Prescott patch or the BIOS update should work . . I prefer ot update the BIOS so that the fix in perminent.  Be sure to have the machine connected to a UPS so that a power failure does not convert it to a boat anchor
No Events found!