Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 3rd, 2011 20:00

XPS 17 (L702) and Windows Server 2000

Is there anyone who can tell me if this combination will work? How would I obtain DELL drivers for the W2K operating system?

8 Posts

November 8th, 2011 13:00

Thanx- I was afraid of that! I am running a very old website- built by hand- ASP using Access 97. I have tried to run it with IIS7 and IIS6 under W7 but with no luck. The HTML seems to work when firing it up, by the web srvices are not brining up the files.

Apprecaite the help.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

November 3rd, 2011 20:00

It is REALLY unlikely that this will work.  XP is even questionable for this system.  

"How would I obtain DELL drivers for the W2K operating system?"

You can't.  Dell does not have drivers even for XP, let alone anything older.  You don't necessarily need Dell drivers ... sometimes you can get them from the individual device manufacturers, but the problem you'll find with that is:  Intel does not have 2000 drivers for the chipset (or XP), nVidia doesn't have 2000 drivers for the video, Intel doesn't have 2000 drivers for any Centrino wireless network devices, etc.  Why?  XP is ancient ... 2000 is older.  Today's modern hardware (let alone cutting edge tech), was never designed to run older OS's.

Your best bet for running 2000, is to run it as a virtual machine.

Why do you need 2000?

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

November 8th, 2011 18:00

That's tough.  I would still recommend running Windows 2000 in a virtual machine within Windows 7 ... the web server/services shouldn't be too demanding on the virtualized hardware and the website will probably run as good as it would on a physical machine.  Good luck!

No Events found!