Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

May 1st, 2018 09:00

XPS 8300, Windows 7, Event ID 1060 and 7026

In the event viewer for Windows 7 on my XPS 8300 I have the following Windows Events:

Windows Event ID 1060 Error

\SystemRoot\SysWow64\Drivers\PxHelp20.sys has been blocked from loading due to incompatibility with this system. Please contact your software vendor for a compatible version of the driver.

Windows Event ID 7026 Error

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:

PxHelp20

When I googled the PxHelp.sys file they said it is from an old Windows XP Sonic driver for my DVD ROM. Does Dell have an updated driver for my DVD rom?

Thanks in advance.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 1st, 2018 09:00

@DougAG1111wrote:

When I googled the PxHelp.sys file they said it is from an old Windows XP Sonic driver for my DVD ROM. Does Dell have an updated driver for my DVD rom?

Thanks in advance.

If that is the case, then you will have to contact Sonic.

Windows does not require 3rd party drivers for basic optical drive functionality. 

You could try AutoRuns (to disable it) , but be very careful if you don't know what you are doing. 

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

May 2nd, 2018 06:00

Driver used by Sonic Solutions’ CD burning software.  HOWEVER it could also be malware.

O23 – NT Services
An NT Service is a background process which is loaded by the Service Control Manager of the NT kernel.
They are often loaded at bootup, before any user logs in, and are often independent of any specific user being logged on at the time.  If a service is not launched automatically by the system at boot time, as many services are, it can also be manually launched by a user at the console, via the NT Control Panel's Services applet, or by another program which interfaces to NT's Service Control Manage

It may be that you are trying to use 32 bit XP software on 64 bit windows  7 and its not compatible and wont EVER be compatible.

HijackThis checks the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services, for non-Microsoft services. Note that not all entries tagged by HijackThis are bad.

Examples of 023 entries in HijackThis logs

O23 – Service: Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Helper – Unknown – C:\WINDOWS\system32\sdkkv32.exe

• O23 – Service: ISEXEng – Unknown – C:\WINDOWS\system32\angelex.exe
  • O23 – Service: PxHelp20.sys – Unknown – C:\Windows\System32\DRIVERS\PxHelp20.sys
  • O23 – Service: Kerio Personal Firewall 4 (KPF4) – Kerio Technologies – D:\Program Files\Kerio\Personal Firewall 4\kpf4ss.exe

No Events found!