Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

December 12th, 2016 07:00

XPS 8900, ODD Not Recognized in Windows

I just purchased a high-powered Dell 8900 from Costco. Installed a second optical drive, Pioneer BDR 206. The bios recognizes the drive. The drive has power and the disk spins. But the computer does not recognize the drive. Ran the usual diagnostics; windows, Dell, etc., but no success. The drive does not show up on device manager. Help please. Thank you.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

December 12th, 2016 14:00

Try swapping the sata ports that the two ODD are currently connected. Is the original ODD still the only one that appears in Windows?

7 Posts

December 12th, 2016 15:00

Thank you. I replaced the original driver with an Asus BW-12B1ST and plugged it into Sata 2. I installed the Pioneer into the first slot where the original ODD was and plugged it into Sata 1. I reversed both drivers and the Pioneer still didn't read. I then replaced them back in their original positions: Pioneer-Sata 1; Asus-Sata 2. The bios recognized both drivers in each position when I reversed and then returned them to their original slots. Why would the bios recognize the Pioneer and the Asus but Windows (?) doesn't? Is it a software problem.Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I really like the Pioneer. 

P..S. I also updated their firmware on the Pioneer before swapping it out. 

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

December 13th, 2016 07:00

Since the bios shows both drives on both sata ports, the computer hardware is fine. This is a software operating system issue. Moving this thread to the Microsoft OS Forum to see if they can assist.

No Events found!