Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

June 20th, 2009 19:00

XPS M170 Windows 7 & Dell QuickSet

I have recently moved my XPS M170 laptop to Windows 7 x32. The clean install was just like I like uneventful I was able to very easily create the partitions that I wanted and start the install.

I normally make it a point to get all of the current drivers from Dell's site for each of my machines.

Windows 7 had drivers for every item except the onboard sound hardware.  So I went to the folders where I keep the drivers and ran Sigmatel Stac975 AC97 Audio driver that worked under Vista and within 3-4 minutes Device Manager showed all devices as up and running no red x's no yellow ?'s.

The only semi-problem I had was getting QuickSet to run. Even that ended up being pretty easy under Windows 7.

Under Vista I had to right click the exe file and choose XP SP2 compatability. Windows 7 didn't offer that option. Under Windows 7 you right click and choose "Troubleshoot compatability". Win7 will run a Detecting Compatibility routine and offer 2 choices when done. 1) Try recommended setting, 2)Troubleshoot Program.

I first tried Try recommended settings and QuickSet installed and worked. I then removed QuickSet and tried Troubleshoot Program. Once again QuickSet installed and worked.

The version of QuickSet I used was R130907. As I said it installed and worked just fine but now I'm looking for a version that has the breathing, strobe and other effects. If anyone knows which version of Quickset that offers the additional effects and works on the XPS M170 please let me know.

Tony

37 Posts

July 6th, 2009 23:00

I found a version of QuickSet that has the features I was looking for.

While versions R130907 & R97345 both work as far as controlling the LEDs on the XPS M170 Laptop; the LED effects are not there for either version.

For those that want the breathing, strobe and other effects you can use R135329. You just follow the procedure in the previous post.

Works like a champ.

17 Posts

November 29th, 2009 21:00

I did the same but not so lucky.

I am unable to find drivers for the NIC

Can anyone help?
installed win 7 32 bit

4.6K Posts

November 30th, 2009 05:00

Welcome to the forums Pau :emotion-21:

Windows 7 should install the vast majority of drivers required - leaving you maybe one or two items requiring drivers?

Graphics drivers you can get direct from ATI/AMD or Nvidia - depending on what type of card you have, and Vista drivers have worked for many of us, for anything Windows 7 didn't install drivers for?

No Events found!