Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 9th, 2009 17:00

XPS m1330 / Vista Unreliability

I have an XPS M1330 with Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit.  It is hands down the most unreliable item for sale on Dells website.  Almost every Windows update results in the machine being unable to boot up for various reasons.  The machine was brand new in February, and a Windows update in March caused a Blue Screen Stop error 0x000000F4.  Startup Repair, Safe Mode, and System Recovery tasks were unsuccessful.  Result was that I had to restore the machine to factory settings, losing all the information I had stored on it.  An important note is that Dell Tech Support provided absolutely no assistance in the matter...hiding behind the fact that I didn't not purchase a software warranty.  In June, a Windows Update cause my machine to not boot once again.  The software stated that "This copy of Windows is not Genuine".  Once again, no help from Dell, unsuccessful system recovery, and I had to restore the machine to factory settings.  Of course all my data was once again lost.  Now it is September, a Windows Update came through about a week ago that once again 0x000000F4.  The machine will not boot up, Startup Repair and System Recovery  tasks are unsuccessful.  This time Dell Tech Support is willing to help, but of course they are stating that my only option is to restore the machine to factory settings...once again losing all of my data.  I understand the need to back up a system.  But I also understand that if I purchase a $1500 laptop from Dell, I shouldn't have to restore it to factory settings THREE times in 7 months.  In addition, should it be a necessity to purchase an expensive external drive just because my expensive laptop?  Has anyone else experienced this level of unreliability with their Dell machine?  Has anyone had any luck getting Dell to stand behind the equipment they sell?  Are there any other options, such as reverting to XP, that can make this a reliable machine?  Thx.

• 

17K Posts

September 10th, 2009 08:00

jbecker1,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

I cannot say just what Windows Updates are causing these problems. If your system is set to run Windows auto-updates automatically you may want to turn auto-updates off. When the update window pops up you can view what updates you want to install. I am not sure if the updates are for your 64 bit version OS or for 32 bit OS's. They all come from Microsoft and not Dell and there are many of them. If you run into problems it is best to come here in the forum first and ask questions to see if there is a resolution to any issues you may run into.

I think backing up your data on a regular basis to an external harddrive or to some online backup service is needed. I have an external hard drive that I use for backups.

1 Message

September 10th, 2009 09:00

I have had exactly the same problems with my XPS 1330, which I purchases in September 2008. I have had to restore my machine to factory settings 4 or 5 times, and each time Dell technical support representatives in India refuse to help me with my problems. I am a graduate student and need my machine to complete my work. I am composing a letter to the Better Business Bureau to complain about Dell's customer service, technical support and failure to design machines that deliver the quality of function they promised. I encourage all Dell customers who have had problems with their technical support to do the same.

12 Posts

September 10th, 2009 11:00

Jesse,

Thank you for the reply.  The updates are for my copy of Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit.  I find it difficult to swallow that I need to turn off the automatic updates to compensate for difficiencies. 

In addition, while I completely understand the need to back up data.....it should not be to compensate for unreliaible product that was sold by dell.  It is unacceptable that a $300 external hard drive is needed to "be safe" from my $1500 laptop.

12 Posts

September 10th, 2009 15:00

I'm sorry that you are experiencing the same problems I am having...it is so frustrating to pay so much for a computer that breaks down every other month.  Its like buying a Mercedes only to have it stop running every  month on the way to work and then having the dealer tell you that you need to contact someone else to get it fixed.  I agree that a more proactive approach is needed here.  I think I will draft a letter to the BBB regarding this, and also draft a letter to Dell with a copy of my BBB letter to give them one more chance at resolving this situation fairly. 

1 Message

September 10th, 2009 16:00

Same issue: I have a Dell XPS 435 64 bit vista. I have run into several cases where computer behaves very strange, including stuttering, poor network connection, etc... Dell support always tells me to just reinstall the entire Vista, losing data and programs. This takes me days to restore. Not sure what is going on with Windows Updates, but it seems odd to not be able to install them for fear of having my computer stop working.

109 Posts

September 11th, 2009 00:00

I suggest you look at these two forums, loads of information on Dell Customer Service plus emails of the executives (if Dell has not removed them) Tech support nightmare and Customer service sucks, This is my thrid attempt to post this but Dell wants me quiet. Please check out those two forums on how to deal with Dell Customer Service. A letter to the BBB is useless. First you have to find the BBB that Dell is registered with if any, second the BBB does nothing but get complaints. I suggest you locate your local government office of consumer affairs or some similar name. Do not blame the techs in India, they have to work all night, are poorly trained, and proably could never afford the computer you have. I actually feel sorry for them for the abuse they must take from angry Dell owners all over the Globe on all continents, not just the USA. I strongly suggest you Google "Dell complaints"

2.2K Posts

September 13th, 2009 16:00

I don't understand complaining to/about Dell if it is in fact a Windows Update issue. Dell does not warrant software, but can provide paid support.

As Jesse said, try these forums looking for help.

Complaining to the BBB has worked for  some people, but for it to be successful there must be a clearly valid complaint. Unless there is defective harware, I don't think there is one of those in this case.

12 Posts

September 14th, 2009 10:00

Believe me, I have heard the "Dell does not provide a warranty for the software" excuse 100s of time from Dell Tech Support.  Just because the problem occurs after a windows update doesn't mean it is a windows problem.  What if the problem has to do with some 3rd party software that Dell installed? Or what if there is a conflict with the windows update and some hardware that Dell installed?  Is Microsoft supposed to anticipate all those possibilities?  No.  Dell should be monitoring the field performance of the machines they sell, and providing solid customer service to their customers....bottom line.  Auto manufacturers don't write the software that is on their vehicles, yet if you have a problem that is software related, they resolve it for you.  Appliance manufacturers don't write the software that run their washers/dryers/refrigerators, yet they monitor field performance and help their customers when there is a software related issue.  Moreover, consumers don't have to pay for it.  Whether it is a Microsoft software issue, 3rd part software issue, or and Issue caused by Dell themselves, they should be researching and anticipating these problems with the product that THEY sell, and provide high quality support to their customers.  Take a look at the Dell Home Page for home computers, right there in the header of the page it states "DELL RECOMMENDS MICROSOFT VISTA HOME PREMIUM"....if they are going to make recommendations such as this, they should stand behind them!

2.2K Posts

September 14th, 2009 12:00

We could debate all day about what Dell (and any other business, I guess) should do. I was just stating the reality that this appears to be software related, and as such is not covered by Dell's standard warranty, which is similar to most computer makers.

Also, your examples about the cars and other devices with software are a bit misleading, as those software items are A) not changing B) not working in conjunction with outside software a user may have installed.

The reality of the car example is that if I alter the software in my car, the dealer may deny warranty covereage until I  install the original factory software, much like it sounds is happening with your computer/

2.2K Posts

September 14th, 2009 16:00

I didn't miss any point of any argument. I was simply stating the way things are. Dell does not warrant software. I am sorry you don't like it, and sorry you don't seem to understand it, but that does not take away from the reality of it.

Here is what Dell's warranty says (copied and pased directly from their web site):

"What is not covered by this limited hardware warranty?

This limited hardware warranty does not cover:

• Software, including the operating system and software added to the Dell-branded hardware products through our factory-integration system, third-party software, or the reloading of software

Not trying to argue. Just hopefully providing some understanding of Dell's warranty policy. If it is a hardware issue, by all means, complain to Dell, but this does not sound like a hardware issue.

EDIT:  According to Microsft's web site, Dell has no such support obligation. The following is taken from Microsoft's Vista support page. I have underlined the key word.

"Support may be available from your computer manufacturer. Please contact the manufacturer for details. If your computer manufacturer states that they are unable to help you, visit the Microsoft Help and Support site for additional assistance. "

109 Posts

September 14th, 2009 16:00

Yoe seem to missing a big part of the argument. When Dell buys software from, say, Micrsoft the liscense number gets an OEM inserted in it. If you call Microsoft they will refuse to help you inless you have BIG BUCKS and will pay them. The contract between Microsoft and most software manufacturers, in order to save them money is the computer seller assumes ALL responsiblity to provide customer support for that software, weather Dell wrote it or not. It is the responsiblility of Dell to have trained customer service people to help you with you i.e. Vista problems. When Dell fails to provide adiquate or non exsistant customer servive on the software sold with the machine they are failing to meet the terms of their contract to you. Don't believe me just call Microsoft with your OEM license number and they will refuse to talk to you. Now if you go to your local computer shop and buy a copy of Vista and install that which is redundant, then Microsoft is your primary software support service. Check you license numbers, of OEM is included you have to suffer the extraordinarily awful Dell Customer service. Hope this clarifies this confusing question a bit. The BBB has very good intentions but are industry supported. If a company refuses to comply with BBB, BBB has absolute no power over the company to make them conform. If you can find which BBB office Dell is registered with and believe me it will be obscure as the do not have a blanket membership with all offices, you will find the number of unresolved complaint staggering. Finally Dell  DOES warranty the software, read you warrant

2.2K Posts

September 14th, 2009 17:00

I believe that MS will tell you to call Dell, and Dell will charge for the support. I believe it would be that way with most computer makers, and I do not see it as Dell wiggling out of anything. Perhaps you don't like the system, but that is how most Windows OEM sales work out, not just with Dell. 

As the edit to my post above implies, even MS acknowledges that the OEM seller may not provide support for the OS.

109 Posts

September 14th, 2009 17:00

Well you have to believe the hard print, seems Dell has successfully wiggled it's way out of this one. I still challenge you to get support from Microsoft on OEM software without paying. They will tell you to call Dell, so the software id basically orphaned unless you have a large pocket book. Another example of how Dell does not meet the support standards. 

2.2K Posts

September 14th, 2009 19:00

It  was that second choice you referred to that I took my quote from:

"Support may be available from your computer manufacturer. Please contact the manufacturer for details. If your computer manufacturer states that they are unable to help you, visit the Microsoft Help and Support site for additional assistance. "

"Support may be available...." It never guarantees it. So there is no mandate from MS that the OEM reseller supports it.

That vicious cycle of responsibility may be true, but perhaps that is why OEM version cost less that retail versions. There is no free support with an OEM version.

109 Posts

September 14th, 2009 19:00

And so a rediculous vicious circle swells into a hurricane of 'I am not responsible"

From Microsoft's pages in support. Not there is a differance between support and warranty. I have to admity no one will warranty software. I think the real argument here is about support. The two are commonly mixed up..

Look at the second option.

How can we assist you?

Select the option that best fits your need

View Product Support Centers   View Product Solution Centers
Start here when your Microsoft product is not working as you expected. Visit the technical product support centers to:
  • Download the latest product updates
  • Look up top product issues, error messages, and troubleshooting tips
  • Find product help from a discussion group or support professional
  • Technical product contact information (telephone numbers, e-mail, and more)
View Computer Manufacturers contact information   View Computer Manufacturers contact information
If your Microsoft product was installed on your computer when you purchased it, the computer manufacturer is your primary source of technical support.
View Customer Service Solution Centers   View Customer Service Solution Centers
Find information about non-technical customer service issues such as:
  • Careers, community affairs, corporate
  • Product sales and licensing
  • Replacements, refunds, and rebates
  • Customer Service contact information (telephone numbers, e-mail, and more)

No Events found!