Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 11th, 2017 02:00

XPS17 L702X Win7 format & clean install: Full clean WIn7_64 reinstall help on SSD following HDD failure

Hi Guys

BACKGROUND: Im relatively experienced technical windows guy but I wanted some top tips please rebuilding my XPS17 (L702X tag ) after my HDD started corrupting files & registry after 5 years use.

I swapped it for an SSD, now I have some challenges which I'd love some help / wise advice with.

I WOULD LIKE TO: Either recover the image from data (need help) or do a full format of the Windows partitiion (ensuring I have all the right drivers) and begin the painful task of a rebuild. 

CURRENTLY I HAVE DONE THE FOLLOWING:

1. Imaged the original HDD and applied the image to the SSD. 

2. I have tried a new install of windows which has installed to the original drive but leaving only 10% space free.

3. When I break out of the boot sequence I dont get the Dell Recovery option but i can see the Recovery partition in 'Disk Management'.

4. I cant find the recovery discs easily (think house move and everything in the attic situation) made originally but I do have the data on my network NAS and can copy over to a USB stick - I have tried to boot to the USB but I cant make that happen.

QUESTION:

A. Is there a good guide that allows me to download and boot to a recovery environment, format the C: drive and reinstall windows?

B. Is there anyway I can download software which can utilise existing data I have to recover the original windows state please?

I'd be grateful for any advice you can give!

Many thanks

Marcus

No Events found!