Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 20th, 2004 03:00

Zone alarm at fault

OK, let me tell you straight out, I have AOL. It is the only IP that can connect to the Internet reliably for me. (I've tried Earthlink, and Verizon, but they were not reliable at accessing the internet, got "the page cannot be displayed" all of the time.)

Anyway, I have been having problems lately accessing Internet sites via Firefox or IE.

I've tried uninstalling the modem adapter, uninstalling the AOL adapter, flushing the DNS, doing a hard-drive revert, etc, but the problem kept re-occurring.

Then I found out, that if I disable ZA, I could access websites again. So I uninstalled and reinstalled ZA, re-setup the permissions, and now, (knock on wood) I'm good to go.

Unable to use Windows built in firewall, no option under AOL properties in network connections.

I use ZA, because I don't want to get hacked, etc. I have dial-up, but ever dial-up can be vulnerable.

So, reinstalling ZA, may work for those whose have trouble with it.

82 Posts

March 20th, 2004 11:00

g'day mate,

I use ZA also.

I have learned that whenever I loose a connection to my ISP, Zone Alarm will not allow me access to the Internet with the same browser that I have been using if Zone Alarm's Internet Lock Settings have been engaged during the brief disconnection from my ISP.

I have learned that it is always necessary for me to close an open browser (if...etc, etc) and then to reopen a new browser once the Zone Alarm Lock Settings have been unengaged.

g'day
ThSQ

Message Edited by ThSQ on 03-23-2004 12:02 AM

2K Posts

March 21st, 2004 23:00

Update: since having further problems with ZA, I switched to Sygate.
No Events found!