Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 29th, 2006 19:00

Zune Player Software

I have recently purchased a Zune player through Dell.  I have been having problems installing the Zune Software on my Dell Dimension 4600 PC.  During the installation process, it gets to be like 95% complete, and then it slows down and looks like it is trying to do something for about 2 minutes or so.  After that it says the software installation was unsuccessful, and that I should restart my computer and try to install it again.  It isn't any of my security suites blocking it (Mc Afee and Spyware Doctor)  because I turned them both off, and I've even tried re-booting my computer without them starting at start up.  I've tried rolling back my windows media player as well, because I heard about a conflict with windows media player 11 beta version.  I've tried calling Zune and Dell Support only to get hung up on by both lines multiple times.  I have been messing with this since Christmas Eve.  I need help troubleshooting the installation process or I am liable to hold every penny I have for some time.  I'm not saying that I'm necessarily angry at Dell or Microsoft, but this error message is frustrating me.  If you guys at the Dell Support Forums can't help me just like several phone calls didn't help me, then please refer me to someone who can because I need knowledge that I obviously don't have.

Message Edited by industrykiller on 12-29-200603:26 PM

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 29th, 2006 22:00

This is only a user's forum. None of us, with exception of the Moderators, work for Dell.

You're not alone with Zune software installation failures. Microsoft has a bunch of knowledge base documents for fixes depending on which error message you got. Start here:
support.microsoft.com/kb/929947
support.microsoft.com/kb/929946
support.microsoft.com/kb/929911
support.microsoft.com/kb/929701
Etc...Ouch!

And one possible independent fix, about which I know absolutely nothing is here:
http://www.flx-tech.net/2006/12/fix_for_installing_zune_softwa.html
Use at your own risk, no warranties expressed or implied, past performance is no guarantee of future success, and all of that other legalese. ;)

Ron
No Events found!