Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

June 9th, 2005 23:00

can't login to Windows XP

Hello everybody,

This is my first time on the forum and I have what I would consider a major login problem!  I have a dell inspiron 8600 with windows xp home edition.  i recently went on the dell website and updated the sigma tel audio drivers and the broadcom network card drivers.  i restarted my computer and everything worked fine, so i decided to delete the original manufacturer driver folders because the new drivers i installed were placed in "c:\program files\sigma tel" and "c:\program files\ Broadcom".  the folders i deleted were "C:\drivers\audio" and "C:\drivers\network".  I restarted after this and the windows login screen where the password area usually pops up just stayed blank.  I am basically stuck at a windows login screen that has no option to type in a password or turn off the computer, so i cannot access windows!!!  i tried safe mode, debugging mode, and everything i could think of, but everytime i would be confronted with a login screen with no area to type in a password.  is there anyway i can get back into windows without performing a system restore!!?? please help me!  thank you so much

JP  

39 Posts

June 10th, 2005 06:00

That sounds nasty man. Have you tried pressing F8 at boot up and selecting "Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)"?  I don't see how you can avoid a system restore in the predicament you are in. Can you select System Restore in safe mode? If you can log in to safe mode I would try to do that.

Try entering your password and pressing enter even though you see no password input box. That might work too...

12K Posts

June 10th, 2005 10:00

If the above does not work, you may be looking at a Repiar Install.
No Events found!