Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 2nd, 2010 09:00

creating a boot disc so I can reinstall windows xp from the manufacturer's discs

My XPS400 system produces the following error on booting up:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \system 32\hal.dll  Please reinstall a copy of the above file

I cannot boot my system to reinstall the file.  My manufacturer's discs to reinstall Windows XP home are not bootable discs it appears.  I have no floppy disc on my system.  I do have a CD, DVD and USB ports.  My intention is to reformat my RAID hard drives as part of this process because it all started with a virus.

14.4K Posts

January 2nd, 2010 09:00

You disk is bootable you may just have an issue getting it to boot. If it will not boot up with the disk in the drive try this. With the disk in the drive, boot up. At the Dell splash screen tap the F12 key. Once in the boot menu select the option to boot from the onboard CD rom.

2 Posts

January 2nd, 2010 10:00

I just tried that and the response I get is:

Selected boot device is not available - strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility

14.4K Posts

boot into the bios and change the boot order to the CD rom drive first.

1K Posts

Hi kpschmid.

Get into BIOS (F2) and set your CD/DVD drive as first boot divice. Try again. On the other hand check this out:

http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

Hope this helps.

Edit: Hey Davet50 beat me to it by a couple min. I was looking for the web page to bootable disk.

No Events found!