Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 30th, 2009 02:00

dell inspiron E1505 reinstall- help!

I need to re-do/reinstall/reformat the hard drive of my Dell Inspiron E 1505. I'm running Vista 32 bit home premium, with service pack 1. What do I need to know before I start? I saw something online about downloading drivers.

I'm fairly inexperienced at this and more than a little nervous. I'm also not with or near anyone that can potentially help me, so pretty much on my own. Have all the discs that came with the comp and all other original legal authentic blah blah blah software... My last laptop (not a Dell) was straightforward- stick the disc in and go. This seems a big more complicated.

The harddrive right now is partitioned into C and D drives; is that something I'll have to do manually? Why do I need to do this (if I need to)?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 30th, 2009 04:00

HERE is the Dell instructions on reinstallaing.  Best to use the Dell Restore Partition option as it reinstalls everything back to the original factory install and does not require any discs.

3 Posts

March 30th, 2009 08:00

ok- thanks. didn't know about that option... new to most of this!

3 Posts

March 30th, 2009 09:00

ok- I went to that page, got the instructions and started down that road. BUT- when I choose 'Dell Factory Image Restore' , I get an error message that there is no Factory Image Restore. This makes me slightly panicky... I remember about a year ago, a friend was helping me completely uninstall a program and she told me to choose an option 'show hidden files'- so I did. Later tried to undo that but couldn't figure out how. Later, computer was acting more and more stupid, slow very sluggish... went in to clean up stuff and found on the D drive something called 'ghost' (I'm crying) which I thought was from a failed back-up attempt... I deleted it. Likely that was my factory image??? I've gone to the dell support page you linked to and gotten the manual restore instructions... Guess that's my only option at this point? Is there anything else I need to know?

No Events found!