Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 11th, 2012 16:00

don't have permissions for any mods to E:\Program Files

Windows 7..Have all my programs in Partition E:\Program Files.. I suddenly cannot, modify, update, change name, delete anything in that folder. Tells me "I don't have permission"

I HAVE Administrator permission. Tried to change permissions using "Properties: Security": for that folder,  but if I try to edit "Permissions" , It's Greyed out.. Doesn't seem to respond.

Any expert help?

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

June 11th, 2012 17:00

What are you trying to access Program Files for?  Windows 7 locks you (even Administrators) out of Program Files (as well as other locations), as users should not generally need to access it directly.  There is a way, but I'll wait to give it to you until I know why ... Winodws does this for your own good :)

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

June 12th, 2012 14:00

You will need to consult with the vendor of your specific software to see what restrictions it has running on Vista/7 and what other issues you may encounter doing the following.  In most cases, you can simply install to a special folder.  For example, create a folder C:\datamaster, then install it to that folder; this folder you will have ownership and full control over.  

You do NOT, even as an administrator, have full access to the Program Files folder - this is by design.  You can take ownership of the Program Files folder (currently owned by Trusted Installer), so as to allow you to modify whatever permissions you believe you or your application need, BUT I would STRONGLY recommend you NOT do this, and instead either work around it (user-created folder or other vendor-provided solution) or get software that is Windows Vista/7 compliant.

5 Posts

June 12th, 2012 14:00

some of my programs work incorrectly, or are unuseable. i.e., One program says i don't have permission to access it's 'data files' which makes it unuseable.[ Image #1] 'DataMaster' won't  allow updates to the program " don;t have permission . .  .'[ Image #2] But will  after i installed the program to on C:\  Mailwasher does not work properly, but will ,when installed in a different folder Same with CyberPower [backup battery pak], and i don't know how many others.

Also cannot Rename or Move ANY of the programs in E:\Program Files.

would Appreciate your help:emotion-1:

5 Posts

June 12th, 2012 17:00

• 1. These problems have just surfaced. I have been running these programs in E:\Program files on W7 for over 1 year. Permission to change, delete, rename,or move have just disappeared..
      • 2. if i can create a new folder with full control, then why can't i have full control over this one? [which i used to have.]

3. If I re-install ALL of the existing programs , I still will not have access to the data. i.e. in "WinTotal" [See this error message.]

• 4.I do not want my programs on the same drive [Partition] as the operating system.
      • 5.i have consulted at length with the affected software vendors. They all agree it appears to be an operating system Permission issue. 
      • 6. There is NO 'Trusted installer' or 'Creator owner'  listed as a user name on Object Name E:\
      • 7. could it be something else in the OS preventing me from having these permissions?
      • 8. Why do you not want me to have control over E:\Program files?

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

June 12th, 2012 19:00

If TrustedInstaller is not listed as the Owner of your Program Files folder (Advanced Security Settings), then you have a NON-STANDARD Windows 7 installation.  This may in some way be responsible for the problems you are having now ... either having the security settings screwed up led to settings that Windows protects by default by blocking access to Program Files being changed in a way they could not have been with a default configuration or something (malware probably) has made these changes.

4.I do not want my programs on the same drive [Partition] as the operating system.

I understand this - it is a common setup; there is nothing inherently wrong with this, but it is something I only implement with very small OS disks (SSD).

8. Why do you not want me to have control over E:\Program files?

It's not me that doesn't want you to have access to your Program Files ... it is Microsoft, but I agree with their reasoning, and its for the users' own good.  Windows 7-compliant software uses C:\Program Data and the users' App Data folders to store data files, NOT Program Files.

5 Posts

June 13th, 2012 16:00

• I notice that my F: Drive [Partition] which i use to store data, does not have "Trusted Installer" either, and seems to work fine, Neither does another drive which i use as a backup. Could this be a special feature of C:\Program files only and not User defined drives/folders?
  • No malware on the machine. [2 different scans] Though that doesn't mean that their wasn't at some earlier time ..
  • Do you think a reinstall of W 7 from the disks that came with the computer would fix it?   I have 1 Windows 7 disk and 4 driver+ misc disks.
No Events found!