Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

H

August 21st, 2011 13:00

error messages, appearance differences

Inspiron 530 xp professional

I get a lot of error message with option to send to microsoft. I have in My Computer file and sub files a lot of folders that have a lightr shade of buff. Some are MT some are programan put in recycle bin and they suddenly get correct color. I had a few from verizon (ISP) and was told it does not matter from them. The PC can run very slow and sometimes not but it gets the job done. (i have a back up) but I am sick of it. Here are attachments. I am confused by this. and having problems uoloading. I tried a print screen to word doc, nogood. Converted to PDF, no good. Great just great

hankbuck

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

August 21st, 2011 15:00

Other than you are getting program faults and then the send to microsoft, I don't see anything that would help us help you.  

This could be anything from malware/spyware to just the fact that a complete reinstall is needed (not that unusual after a couple of years with XP).

There are hardware diagnostics on most Dell's, accessed by F12 at POST (Power On Self Test).  You can run the diagnostics to rule out any hardware problems.  

If you opt to reinstall, the Dell recovery partition should also be on the PC, accessed by CTRL/F11 at POST for systems delivered with XP.  If you ultimately decide to do a reinstall, backup your user data, pictures, music, etc  to some external storage device as all will be erased during the reinstall.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

August 21st, 2011 17:00

Print screen then paste in paint and then save the image e.g. on you're desktop. Select "use rich formatting" when posting here.

Press that button and it will let you upload the image.

I think maybe you have hidden folders enabled.

A Fireberd says it may be time to reinstall XP to get back you're performance. Performance generally degrades over time on XP.

What security programs are you running? Download the free version of Malwarebytes' Antimalware, update it and let itscan you're computer just to check that you don't have Malware.

Also download and install CCleaner (download button top right). Run the cleaner and also the registry cleaner.

Also do you have the CDs that came with you're system. One of them should say "Operating System Already Installed on your Computer Windows XP Professional".

41 Posts

August 21st, 2011 17:00

Hello again  fireberd:

Thanks for help in the past. i was trying to get to POST F12 and had no success. I figured it was to be done at start up as inspiron logo's page progress bar was starting up but I could not see and path to diagnostic. Would you have any detail of how to get there and/or correcting me. I did perform a reinstall about 6 months ago also. Perhaps that had flaws and should be done over??? At any rate I need a menu path.

Thanks

hankbuck

41 Posts

August 21st, 2011 18:00

Thanks: I am installing the diag utility. it will help along with other info from you that came thru on my inbox regular email but not here. ???? anyway, I reinstalled from the original disk that came with the PC (desktop). I am from another generational planet so the lexicon is sometimes lost on me. I was a history major  and hallucenigist from the 70's but cant take reling on relatives, friends and hi priced retail repair deals to fix,maintain, manage my PC's.  Ergo, I try to do it myself by using the forums taht are available. It works ok but is always close to misadventure. So, thats the topography. Thanks for your help and I will use the opportunity to sniff around. Thanks

hankbuck

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

August 21st, 2011 18:00

FAQ How to Run the Dell 32-bit Diagnostics Utility

You should download and install Dell Support Centre also and get it to run the PC Checkup.

Did you do a clean install or upgrade? Did you install from the Dell BIOs or from within Windows XP?

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

August 22nd, 2011 01:00

As for reinstalling Windows I will put in exactly how to do it:

Step 1. Back up your data. 

An external hard drive is a great device to back ones data up on. Documents, Music, Pictures
and Videos in particular. A standard user should make regular back ups in case of hard drive
failure. If you decide to skip Step 1. c.f. Step 5 & 11 to make sure you don't format the drive. 

Step 2. Use Belarc Advisor

Belarc Advisor will obtain details about your system. It is free for home use and gives you a print
out of your computers hardware and software. It also gives you your product keys. This is
particularly useful for obtaining your Windows 7 and Microsoft Office product keys. It is handy to
keep a print out of this data. CutePDF Writer may be used to create a pdf print out of it. Save this in
a folder in the external harddrive e.g. called Computer Software.

Step 3. Obtaining Service Packs/The Latest Build of Internet Explorer/Dell System Drivers.

Windows XP Service Pack 2 Standalone (may be included on disc)

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Standalone (may be included on disc)

Internet Explorer 8 Standalone

Windows Media Player 11

• Dell System Drivers may be found on the Dell Drivers and Downloads page.

Select Drivers and Downloads

Input your service tag. This is a 7 digit code found at the base of your laptop (alternatively you can select your product model but generally there are variants in components and so using the service tag makes it more system specific). 

Switch to Windows XP.

When downloading the drivers, I recommend downloading via internet browser as many users have experienced problems with the Dell Driver Download Manager.

Save it using the same folder structure as me to prevent confusion and to ensure that you install all the drivers in the correct order. Although this guide is based on installing/reinstalling Windows 7 on laptops, installation on Dell desktops will be very similar.

• 1. Intel Chipset Drivers - Under Chipset

• 2. Video Driver  - Under Video

• 3. Conexant Driver, Application, Utility - Under Communications 

• 4. Intel LAN Driver - Under Network

• 5. Wireless Card - Under Network

• 6. Audio (any drivers before applications) - Under Audio

• 7. Intel Matrix Storage Manager (If applicable) - Under SATA Drives  (Usually only bother with Intel Matrix Storage Manager)

• 8. Dell Support Centre (from here, not from applications)

◘ Note the other drivers such as the BIOs, CD/DVD firmware can be updated if you wish but I would recommend leaving these alone. Sometimes if these updates go wrong, things seriously break. If you have no problems with any of these devices then leave them be. You may look through Applications to see if you find anything else useful. I however recommend downloading

Step 4. Installing Windows

Ensure everything (documents and the downloads listed above) is copied over onto the external hard drive. Insert the Dell Windows XP CD/DVD you have. Power down your computer. Hold F12 while powering up your computer.

If you pass this screen and windows proceeds to load, you will need to power down your computer and try again.

Select boot from CD/DVD. Press any key when prompted and follow the on screen instructions to install WIndows XP. For a nice detailed guide installing XP see here. Following this will make sure you format properly and do a clean install.

Step 5. Install the Service Packs 2 & 3/Internet Explorer 8

It often works out better installing the latest Service Pack and Internet Explorer before installing the system drivers. It prevents a great deal of problems with Windows Update.

Step 6. Install the System Drivers

Ensure you keep to the order listed above for best results.

Step 7. Activation

Activation should occur automatically on a Dell System using the Dell XP disc.

Step 8. Ensure there are no Errors in Device Manager

Right click my computer and select properties, select hardware and click on device manager. If you have an error, you have not installed a system driver and just to check that you haven't missed downloading something, ask on the forums for details if you get stuck. 

Step 9. Install a Security Program

Since Windows XP is an old OS now. It is crucial you have decent antivirus software and a good firewall. For antivirus I recommend Microsoft Security Essentials. This is a free antivirus made by Microsoft and is really good. For the Firewall I recommend Windows 7 Firewall Control (note there is an XP version, the free version suffices). Note it blocks everything by default, except windows updates. You will need to set it to enable internet explorer etc. Finally for Malware I recommend the Pro version of Malwarebytes' Antimalware it is £20 but does not expire. The free version is also good if you feel like paying but does not offer real time protection. 

• Microsoft Security Essentials Free
• Malwarebytes' Antimalware Free version performs on demand scans only/Pro $25
• Sphinx Windows 7 Firewall Control Free version suffices

This free combination is much lighter than the paid McAfee and causes less problems with the system while still offering adequate protection. My personal recommendation for security programs and other programs is in the other wiki I wrote Other Useful (Mainly Free) software. Here I list download links and state the price of software (most are free). 

Step 10. Copy your files from you're external hard drive

Install all your programs etc.

Step 11. Use your computer

You should have a fully functional system with peak performance.☺

Step 12. Computer Maintainance

I recommend carrying out periodic maintenance with these programs. They are Free again. CCleaner it has a cleaner which cleans out alot of files that clog up your system, it has an inbuilt registry cleaner aswell which is quite nice. Most registry cleaners I have used have broke my system but this one has been great. I recommend running it once a week or month, depending how much you use your system.

Another program they wrote is called defraggler. It defrags your system. Basically file fragments are left as default all over your hard drive. These get in the way and slow your system down, this program sorts them out.

Windows XP has 2 inbuilt programs that carry out a similar function but the ccleaner and defraggler are far superior.

Finally once you have installed all your programs you may have programs that automatically start when you log into Windows. Some of these are unnecessary and only exist to slow down your system. Use Malwarebytes' StartUp Lite and it will recommend you what ones to disable and why.

CCLEANER (top right)
DEFRAGGLER (top right) 
• Malwarebytes' StartUpLite 

Again there are some other useful programs in the wiki I wrote Other Useful (Mainly Free) software.

Step 13. Memory Upgrade

Go to the Crucial Website and scan your system. You may upgrade your memory to a maximum of 4 GB (any more is pointless as you are using a 32 bit OS which maxes out at ~3.5 GB). On Windows XP however 2 GB is a nice soft spot for most users. Detailed instructions to installing memory are in the service manual.

No Events found!