Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 20th, 2009 14:00

formatting dell xps m1730

Hi

I'm planning to format my Dell XPS m1730 using the Windows Vista CD. My question was, will i lose quickset and other dell apps such as dell dock, etc. if I do this? Also, if I do this, will I lose the functionality of the gamepanel LCD, the speaker lights and the Keyboard Backlight?

Thanks for your help

14.4K Posts

Yes you will lose all that and all your programs and data since you have had the system. A format wipes the drive clean and you will need to reinstall your OS, drivers and all your programs and data.

What is your reasoning for doing so?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

Yes, you will lose those until you reinstall the drivers and applications that support them.

5 Posts

October 20th, 2009 16:00

Yes you will lose all that and all your programs and data since you have had the system. A format wipes the drive clean and you will need to reinstall your OS, drivers and all your programs and data.

What is your reasoning for doing so?

well i've had this laptop for a year now. A few games that i've installed in the past few months have a peculiar problem: they run sort of choppy, for example in mirror's edge it will run fine for about 10-20 seconds then there will be a sort of lag after which it will run fine for another 10-20 seconds and so on. i have tried lowering graphics and resolution but theres no effect. the other games that this happens with are unreal tournament 3, cricket 09, etc. i cannot figure out why this happens that's why i want to do a format.

2.4K Posts

October 20th, 2009 23:00

What graphics card do you have in your computer?

5 Posts

October 21st, 2009 11:00

What graphics card do you have in your computer?

I have Nvidia 8800m GTX in a dual SLI configuration. I've tried disabling SLI and it still has this problem. any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm sorry that i was unable to respond sooner but i've been swamped with studies.

On a side note, what advantages does upgrading ur bios have on your computer? I'm still using the stock bios that came with my laptop.

5 Posts

October 23rd, 2009 16:00

oh ya and theres a very good guide on how to format your laptop (if you have an xps) on the below site:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5216310_format-dell-xps-laptop.html

i think its important to follow this guide or else you might end up losing Dell Mediadirect.

5 Posts

October 23rd, 2009 16:00

Hi

I just wanted to say that I did the format and installed the drivers and everything and re-installed one of the above mentioned games (mirrors edge) and its working perfectly now. i didnt try the other games i mentioned but i think they should be fine too.

Just in case anyone has this same problem that i had.

Thanks

1 Message

October 29th, 2009 16:00

I updated to Windows 7 and lost the GamePanel, cannot find the software to replace it, any Ideas?

14.4K Posts

October 29th, 2009 19:00

Have you tried going here and looking?

No Events found!