Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 11th, 2009 08:00

hal.dll missing

i turned on Dimension 9200 earlier today and was greeted with  missing file message "WINDOWS ROOT>\SYSTEM32\HAL.DLL

have discoverd that the fix is to try to reinstall file from CD.

On trying this,i cant get cd drive to boot up..

Cant get anything to boot 

cant start safe mode or any other method.CD drive shown in bios.HD shown in bios

i have changed bios to boot from CD but still no joy.

anyone have any suggestions?

2 Posts

July 11th, 2009 13:00

Hi. I wish I could help you, but I am having the exact same problem on laptop running XP. I did get it to boot from the CD drive by changing the boot order so that that XP looks to the CD drive before the hard drive.  You may have tried this already but what I did was to hold f2 down from the dell start-up screen. That will take you to the boot menu. From there you can change the boot order. Change it so that the system looks to the CD drive first. The trick that makes it work is when you get to a screen that says "Hit any key to boot from CD."  Follow that instruction, but note that you don't have much time in which to do that-maybe 5 seconds. If you don't, it still goes to the hard drive to try and boot.

2 Posts

July 11th, 2009 13:00

Yahoo!  Found an answer.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/repairbootini.htm

This walks you through the steps and they worked! Back in business.

2 Posts

July 11th, 2009 16:00

Ihave tried all suggestions found on various forums but the problem is that i cant get the CD Drive to boot from disc.

I have altered bios setting to make CD Drive boot first but to no avail.

i have run Dell Diagnostics and all tests passed.

July 11th, 2009 20:00

No Events found!