Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 13th, 2010 12:00

hdd wiped. need to figure out how to know which drivers to install

to begin id like to apologize for my lack of knowledge of the machine im working on. its a dimension 2400 desktop and thats the extent of my knowledge. so anyways. (omitted tale of woe causing me to come to this point) so here i am fresh install of xp. and no drivers for my devices i.e. ethernet ctrlr , pci modem, vga card and such. pretty much whatever drivers arent included with the os( hope someone knows more than i do).  ive come to a point where i need to get to the internet in order to really get this beast running again. so if anyone knows what i would have to do to find out what the devices are even called so i can google em at least that would be great.

if more info is needed tell me how to get it for you and i will.(cant post logs as the computer doesnt connect to the net) again apologies for the lack of info

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

March 13th, 2010 12:00

All Dell computers have a Service Tag number. Use that and go to http://support.dell.com to download the drives for XP.

Read and follow http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?docid=179256#Issue5

March 13th, 2010 13:00

your assistance is priceless. i was at a loss. thanks

ill get on that immediately

April 6th, 2010 09:00

ok so now im faced with the issue of the download for some reason im not given the opportunity to choose the download location. i need to download the drivers to my removable storage but am not gifted with a chance to do so.

also i was wondering if i need all thst *** that comes up or just specific ones?

6 Posts

April 7th, 2010 03:00

I have a question for you...That presumes that you can connect to the Internet. What if you do not have the network controller driver that allows you to plug in an ethernet cable and connect to the Dell site? You should at least be able to get the driver for that on a regular download. I tried to download it with my desktop (not a Dell) and then copy it over on a flash drive to the Dell...But Dell seems to be paranoid about not letting any downloads happen unless they are to a Dell computer!

April 7th, 2010 10:00

therein lies my issue. i have disks to burn it onto flash drives to download it to and even called tech support to figure out how. they said right click it and youll be able to choose the path but that was false.

greater still is the issue of the install order. if you dont install the drivers in the right order some of them wont work. so  even if you get the ones that allow you to get online. if it isnt #1 on the list of drivers to install it may not work. so im totally stuck

1 Message

April 7th, 2010 14:00

When you download the files, open the folder they are downloaded to but do NOT run the driver yet! Then you can copy/paste the downloaded files onto the flash drive.  if you are using the download manager to download the files, you can click the open folder link once it's been downloaded. To make it easier on yourself once you've downloaded the driver you can right click it and rename the file, I typically rename them to what they do such as Desktop System Software or Chipset so that way when you install the drivers later it becomes easy to run/install them. There is a specific list that the drivers need to be run or installed in. The link above in the previous posts has the correct order.

-Dbeans78

No Events found!