Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 8th, 2010 23:00

help restoring dell studio xps 13 to factory setting

i recently got myself a dell xps. i did a manual install of windows using the disk that came with the laptop. i thought it was the factory restore disk since it had dell all over it. when everything was finish it was a clean install of window and wasn't how i first got it. i have tried the F8, but there wasn't a Dell Factory Restore option. well alittle digging around i found out that i still have the Factory.wim file but seem like its not detecting it. Can anyone help with this problem or point me to the right direction. Thanks in advance.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 9th, 2010 02:00

Hanz0,

If the factory recovery partition is still there and works, then try...

Restoring Your Computer´s Software to the Factory Settings

If you removed the factory image or it bacme corrupt and is not working, then you need to...

How To Restore or Reinstall Microsoft® Windows® on a Dell™ Computer

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 9th, 2010 07:00

Hanz0,

If I'm reading this correctly, you had Vista on the computer. You upgraded to Windows 7. It sounds like you want to go back to Windows Vista, correct?

How to uninstall Windows 7

If this is what you want, then this link will help you.

Rick

3 Posts

thanks for the quick assistance. The first link if for vista, i currently using windows 7. i have change the option to windows 7 and it bring me back to the F8 to advance boot option. which bring me back to where i started. on the second link i did the manual install which i thought it was the PC restore since i use the disc was provided with the laptop. i was able to copy the FACTORY.WIM to my windows drive. is there a way for me to run it or make it to a boot disc?

3 Posts

it came wiht windows 7 home. i did a clean install on window 7 thinking that was a factory restore. now it doesnt have the option to for Dell Factory Restore on advance boot option. but the RECOVERY partition is there i did not install over it

Update. I recently finish talking to Dell Support. They said there's no possible way to restore it to factory after i did a clean install? even my RECOVERY partition is still avaiable.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 9th, 2010 08:00

Hanz0,

I am not really sure what comes with Windows 7 from the factory.

Are you having a problem with a device, program or do you need something. With Windows 7, you can make you own backup partition.

How to Create a System Image Backup in Windows 7

and

How to Do a System Image Recovery in Windows 7

Will help with the information.

Rick

No Events found!