Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

June 4th, 2012 00:00

iTunes Downloads Hanging and Freezing

We seem to be experiencing difficulties when downloading music from iTunes on multiple of our workstations. When a user signs onto their personal iTunes account and tries to download songs they have previously purchased, the download begins, but shortly into the download (1-5 MB), the download hangs, and the time remaining counter begins to increase. After 30-90 seconds, the download then resumes, the song starts to download again, but it then hangs again. The download does eventually complete, but the total download process takes 3-5 times longer than it should (with multiple freezes).

I've noticed this issue mainly with our Dell Precision workstations with Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller. When uninstalling Symantec Endpoint Protection, the downloads still experience issues. We're running the newest BIOS on each workstation, have downloaded the latest version of iTunes, and have updated the network adapter drivers.

18 Posts

June 4th, 2012 15:00

Hi,

Welcome to the Dell Community.

Referring to the information mentioned above it appears to be a bandwidth bottleneck and following are the suggestions:

1. Please check with your system administrator for any restriction in the "User Policies" defining data transfer.

2. Issues can arise if the users are running any media rich applications running during the same time.

3. Any system maintenance (backup/updates/scans) coinciding during the instance.

I would also request you check the local network performance for data transfer, however in some cases where a lot of users on the same network are accessing the same online application/website can face the issue if the bandwidth restriction is based on the application/websites end.

Thanks!!

DELL-Rishi P

Dell | Social Media Outreach | Global Social Media & Community

4 Posts

June 4th, 2012 15:00

I am the systems administrator for the organization so I can confirm that none of the above suggestions are affecting the connection.

June 5th, 2012 05:00

support.apple.com/.../TS1717

Also try installing the previous version of iTunes like 9.0

Saw your post in apple forum as well.

No Events found!