Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 17th, 2009 23:00

in search for a "update tool" for DELL driver updates

Hello !

I´m new to DELL products and I own a Latitude E4300 and a E6500. The notebooks seem to be delivered with rather old drivers.
When I use the support page with the service tag, I get for the brand-new E4300  12 driver, that I should install.

Question 1:  the recommended Bios Rev. 06 for the E4300 is already on the notebook -   WHY is it displayed for my particular (service tag) notebook ?

Question 2: other manufacturers provide a software tool, that
                           (A)   analyses the notebook / the operating system / the drivers  and then
                           (B)   installs these new drivers 
                           (C)   step by step in the correct sequence (!)

The former Fujitsu-Siemens, now FTS is such a company that provides such a tool.

How ist this done by DELL ?
Do I really habe to search, if an offered driver for my system is needed, or can (oder not ...) be installed ? 
This would be anachronistic.

Klaus

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 18th, 2009 05:00

Dell has a software product that apparently does some but not all of what you want but from all the posts about problems with it and users uninstalling it I wouldn't use it.

Keep in mind with driver updates that only install new drivers if they are needed, not just to have the latest version.  Dell does not often update their drivers and if a driver update does not either fix a problem you are having or provide support for new hardware or software you plan on installing there is no need to install the update.   This is very important on BIOS updates, a failed and corrupted BIOS update means the motherboard must be replaced - there is no other option.

The drivers that are displayed are the current version drivers, not just what new updates are required.  Dell has no way of knowing what version driver is installed on your PC when you access the driver list.

2 Posts

April 18th, 2009 13:00

Dell has a software product that apparently does some but not all of what you want but from all the posts about problems with it and users uninstalling it I wouldn't use it.

Keep in mind with driver updates that only install new drivers if they are needed, not just to have the latest version.  Dell does not often update their drivers and if a driver update does not either fix a problem you are having or provide support for new hardware or software you plan on installing there is no need to install the update.   This is very important on BIOS updates, a failed and corrupted BIOS update means the motherboard must be replaced - there is no other option.

The drivers that are displayed are the current version drivers, not just what new updates are required.  Dell has no way of knowing what version driver is installed on your PC when you access the driver list.

Hello fireberd,

thank´s for your reply. I am happy, that I made a complete Image of the new Notebook - so I can re-install this image, when all the update that I have done today, will fail .

Klaus

No Events found!