Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 29th, 2010 07:00

\system32\hal.dll - Recovery Console?

I have followed past forum instructions but am having a problem.  I put the XP CD in the drive (the one that came with the PC) and turn the PC back on.  The error message appears and I press the spacebar.  I don't go to the Recovery Console, just back to the error message.

Here are the steps that I was following:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&dl=false&l=en&s=gen&docid=D41BC1D2DB324FFF85D095E5F4244358&doclang=en&cs=

1. Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD drive and restart the computer.
  2. Press the when prompted  Press any key to boot from CD.

And the message returns.

Any ideas?  I still have some media that I do want to recover.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

June 29th, 2010 16:00

Me again...

If you're able to boot from the XP CD to the Windows Setup Welcome screen, press Enter (not r) at the first screen

Accept the user license on next screen

Then select your installation of Windows from the list (should only be one)

Finally, press R on next screen to run Repair/Reinstall of XP

When it's done, remove XP CD and reboot from the hard drive. Make sure your firewall and antiviral software are running and go directly to the Microsoft update site. Allow it to scan your PC for any missing updates.

Ron

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

June 29th, 2010 16:00

Always include the PC model in your posts! :emotion-5:

Sorry, but I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to do or why.

Are you getting an error message about missing or corrupt hal.dll when you boot from the hard drive? And what error message are you getting when you try to boot from the CD?

Try this:

Put the XP CD in the drive and close the drawer. Reboot and press F12 (not space) before Windows starts to load. Pick the option to boot from the optical drive from the list.  If you still get an error message about hal.dll and you have 2 optical drives, put the CD in the other drive and start over.

Ron

2 Posts

June 29th, 2010 18:00

Sorry! I have Windows XP.  We lost power during a storm and when we turned the PC back on, the message appeared on a black screen.  I put the installation CD in the drive (only one drive), and rebooted.  The same message appeared. I can't get to Recovery at all.  Is all hope lost?  I'll try what you suggested and let you know how that goes.

Thanks!

No Events found!