Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

U

August 30th, 2005 09:00

mcafee problems

Hi
I'm trying to uninstall the mcafee that was preinstalled on my system but the file MCVSSHL.DLL wont be deleted. The reason i'm trying to do this is to install panda titanium 2006 beta and it wont go on unless mcafee is totally uninstalled.
i've tried booting into safe mode and deleting from there but no dice. I've tried to disable the file from running but cant find it with either wintasks or through msconfig.
I also tried looking through the discs that dell supplied but there is no mcafee on any of them! i thought i may be able to install it again and then delete it from there.
Please help while i have hair left!!!

12K Posts

August 30th, 2005 12:00

Have you checked the Mcaffee site for uinstall instructions?  They are probably just like Norton with regards to hiding an uninstall utility on their site.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

August 30th, 2005 13:00

I'm an expert on this, unfortunately. After spending hours and hours and days with McAfee online chat, email and telephone, I finally got it uninstalled. They have several downloadable utilities that will clean the registry, although I finally had to clean up some Registry remainders manually. Go to McAfee support, contact technical support and get some help. Try this first--boot to Safe mode and remove everything that you can from Add/remove, then delete the folders left behind, & delete the troublesome dll file from Safe Mode, too. Then see if you can install Panda. Good Luck! The irony was I was trying to install McAfee's own programs that I bought at retail! I gave up on that and used EZ Armor instead.
No Events found!