Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

August 17th, 2012 13:00

{moved} Inspiron 8200 - XP Reinstallation

Ok... it probably is partly my fault, but it isn't because I haven't tried.

Have a second hand Inspiron 8200.  The XP that was on it (factory) was terribly slugish. Tried system restore and it didn't help.

So I choose to format the 1 partition and do a fresh install of XP from an old upgrade disc that I had. Everything looked great
until I started trying to put Windows SP 2 on it so I could get automatic updates, get on the internet, upgrade to IE7 and so on.

I had plans!  But everything I've tried either I won't be allowed to completely extract or even now get on the internet.

I realize I should probably just lay it in the path of the cement truck but I hate to see the splatter and possibly do damage to a tire.

Does any have any patience and advice they can me?  Thanks in advance. 

Post moved to the Microsoft OS Forum.

August 17th, 2012 14:00

One download is for the modem. It is too large for a floppy so I went an got a CD-RW to put the driver stuff on guess what?  It says the DVD/CD will not write to it. What in the world. Who sell a machine that is not CDRW?  How can you make music CD's with this. O Lord help me.

I'm trying it ejn63. Thanks for the advice.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

Once the OS is instaled, you must install:

The Dell notebook system software

The chipset driver

then install the wired, wireless, touchpad, video, audio, PCMCIA, etc., drivers.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

Essentially you want to perform A Clean Install of Windows XP. I am going to move this thread to the Microsoft OS Forum.

Have a look at my wiki A Clean Install of Windows XP.

You will need to download the system drivers using another computer and save them to a USB stick. Install in the correct order to get on the Internet. 

Your system is quite old. There appears to be no Dell System Software or Dell Quickset but try R154270 and R130907. They may install but may also say unsupported system. Let me know if either work for you.

I recommend downloading the standalone Service Pack 2 and the Standalone Service Pack 3 and installing these before the system drivers. You can either slipstream them and make a new upgrade XP CD as instructed here and install Windows XP with the Service Packs already included. Alternatively just install the standalone service packs.

Windows XP Standalone Service Pack 2

Windows XP Standalone Service Pack 3

Internet Explorer 8

Windows Media Player 11

.Net Framework 2.0

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

August 17th, 2012 15:00

You're asking about a system that's well toward its teen years - back then , CD-RW drives were not universal.

Hey Granny - isn't India in Texas?  

Pray for me and I'll pray for you.

Thanks nataku, I'll look at it more. I've already tried the 2 you provided here and both come back with, "this is not a supported system setup."  Rats!  

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

August 17th, 2012 17:00

Okay don't worry about them just now. Did you manage to install the service packs and the other drivers?

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

August 18th, 2012 06:00

Well the system is quite an old unit, it may be worthwhile to copy all the files from the USB stick to the desktop and then attempt to run them.

By using that analyze program the laptop needs like 41 updates probably about a dozen critical and moderately important. Hope I can find all those with those numbers they cite (Q0i45t02, etc.).

Haven't tried the SP's again. The last time SP2 went all the way up until the end and then said something like, "did not  load."  I was hoping getting the rest of this stuff in there first might change something but maybe I am thinking through this wrongly.  I'm gathering the right drivers together on a memory stick and will try to see if they will load one at a time.

Thanks for all the info. I'm a die hard and I'll keep trying.  

No Events found!