Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 14th, 2007 18:00

need XP drivers for new Inspiron 531

Just bought an Inspiron 531 that came loaded with Vista. I did a clean install of my own copy of XP but now I need drivers for the SM Bus Controller, a PCI bridge device (the network controller?) and another unidentified PCI device. None of these are listed at the driver page for this computer and XP. The chipset is listed as an Nvidia® MCP 61. I don't know if I need updated drivers for that either. Can anyone steer me in the right direction? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Driver list is here: http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&impid=-1&vercnt=1&osl=en&SystemID=INSP_DSKTP_D531&catid=-1&deviceid=14246&releaseid=R159026&servicetag=&os=WW1&formatcnt=1&libid=1

12.7K Posts

November 25th, 2007 02:00

"Any thoughts as to why the USB 2.0 drivers are not kicking in?"

I have read several posts about this, have not nailed it down yet.

Order of installation that worked for others on the 531

1. Chipset
2. Video
3. Sound
4. AMD away

So the R73044 modem driver works on the 531??
R131301.EXE is a newer version.

Is yours the 531 or 531s?

Message Edited by mombodog on 11-24-2007 10:49 PM

3 Posts

Its a 531, and yes, the R73044 worked just fine.

The windoze USB 2.0 driver seems to work just fine...

12.7K Posts

"the R73044 worked just fine."    Thanks.

FYI,  R131301.EXE is a newer version.

3 Posts

November 29th, 2007 12:00

I've read this post with great interest. But I have a problem. I'm trying to install WinXP to my Inspirion 531. I have an old copy of WinXP Home (sp1) I've slipstreamed SP2 and I'm using that disk to install windows but I'm going round in circles! The installation gets as far as "powering of in 15 seconds" "setup will continue  on reboot" BUT I just end up back at Windows setup. What am I doing wrong. Do I need to change anything in the BIOS? If I got WinXP loaded everything else would be a doddle thanks to this post.
Regards
Squig60
STOP PRESS!!!!
I'm after making a slight change and things are looking good on the windows install. This time I deleted the partition and created a new one of the same size. When windows shut down for the 1st time it restarted and is now doing it's install. I hope this helps some other poor demented soul.

Squig60

Message Edited by squig60 on 11-29-2007 02:34 PM

3 Posts

November 29th, 2007 13:00

mombodog, thanks for the heads up on starting from CD. I remembered and changed boot priority in BIOS to boot from HD. Did it on one of the shutdowns in WinXP install.The only thing I don't have working is my NIC. Probebly the wrong driver. Any ideas?

12.7K Posts

November 29th, 2007 13:00

When the system restarts, be sure it does Not boot from the CD again.

12.7K Posts

November 29th, 2007 19:00

The nic is part of the chipset driver, you should have installed this first.

3 Posts

November 29th, 2007 22:00

mombodog, Everything is working ok now. I did install the nic driver with the chipset. Turns out I had a faulty RJ45 lead! Replaced it and I'm up and working. Thanks for a great thread. You the man!!!

Squig60

12.7K Posts

November 29th, 2007 23:00

Bad cables, they get you every time. Good news.

12.7K Posts

December 19th, 2007 01:00

Here is the best thread on this procedure

The real issue is Drivers for XP, I just learned of this site that you can build a XP install CD with most all drivers you will need slipstreamed into the XP CD, making installation much easier, check it out.

For your reading enjoyment

2 Posts

December 19th, 2007 01:00

mombodog,

I'm new to the Dell forums and have just recently purchased a new Dell Inspiron 530, I have decided that Vista is not for me (no option when I ordered to get XP) and I am going to "UPGRADE" to XP Pro.  I realize that this thread is for the 531 but I have spent a few hours now searching for a similar thread for the 530.  I have read this entire thread and have looked at a few others and your name keeps coming up - you are obviously well informed about these machines!  I have also inferred that you may actually have the 530 instead of the 531?  Is there a chance that the Dell or other forums you might be aware of have a similar thread for putting XP on the 530?  What got me started with this was a bit of difficulty in determining how to keep the integrated card reader with bluetooth, that only has Vista drivers available on the Dell site.  I got the package that included the Dell (Logitech) BT KB and Mouse and would like to keep this setup if possible.  It wouldn't be the end of the world if I had to go another route with the KB and Mouse and give up the on-board BT, but I would rather find a way to do all of this a keep all the stuff I added on.  Any suggestions would be appreciated and I apologize for intruding on this thread with a somewhat out of topic question.

Thanks in advance,

Karl

12.7K Posts

December 19th, 2007 03:00

I think I would try to use the Dell bluetooth driver, since all bluetooth drivers are custom built for the various manufacturers.

2 Posts

December 19th, 2007 03:00

Thank you for the quick response mombodog.  I'll read through the first link in a few.  I had seen the driverpacks site before - all these drivers in one package made for some pretty big downloads!  In a Google search I ran across a few links for drivers on the Versiontracker site - this one in particular looked interesting and I wondered what you thought:  http://www.windowstracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/win/136294 

I believe I have the "Dell Wireless 355C Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR module" but I'm not sure.  It is listed on my paperwork typically as the "Dell Bluetooth Wireless Media Hub + Keyboard/Mouse" and/or the "Media Card Reader with Internal Bluetooth" and other designations. The item number is 341-4964 & 310-9562 and looks like the top configuration you posted here:    http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_other&message.id=342768&query.id=98234#M342768 
for the CAB-200.  The Procedure posted by hemiii0 on page 7 of this 531 thread using the procedure with the R152639.exe driver also sounded very promising - I have downloaded that and unzipped it and it should work with the Bluetooth setup I have - I hope?

Thanks again,

Karl

18 Posts

December 24th, 2007 18:00

Great thread - thanks guys for all the great help.

Happy holidays..

December 26th, 2007 02:00

I now have this thread at the top. I have heard so many horror stories with Vista it has me worried. I will be ready to go with XP if needed.
No Events found!