Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 29th, 2008 09:00

possible two IE's

I have internet explore and on my desktop it says IE2? how do i find out where the other IE is and what do i do to delete it? When i called dell a few days ago and asked a dell person how to set back my homepage i got charged 39 bucks for that it makes me so angry i should of waited and asked here how to change it. also i downloaded malware bytes per buggbatter and it is very nice thanks it says my system is fine but on the logs that it saved when i run scans there were some registry changes and it said infected yet the files said that they are cleaned. I did notice today tho when i ran a scan that when i look at the log files they say registry keys infected and in quotes under that it says no malicous items detected? why then would it say registry keys infected for? one more thing every time i down load something or delete something i get a message stating that my reg key will change and it will ask me if i want it to i always say ok cuz i believe that it must need the new reg key to make what ever program i downloaded to run i think this is happening because i have spybot on my windows xp desktop i wonder if it is anything to worry about? when i click yes change it nothing seems wrong so it must be spybot doing this it does say registry change spybot then when i do click yes it'll have a window in the lower right corner of my screen letting me know that the user allowed the registry change

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 29th, 2008 10:00

In reference to the IE(s) on your desktop.  That is most likely just because you have two IE icons for launching IE.  I've seen this happen when a duplicate shortcut gets placed on the desktop for a program. 

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

May 29th, 2008 11:00

LemonDrop, you don't have two IE's -- just two IE shortcuts. Right-click on IE2 and Delete. :)

It sounds like you have Spybot's TeaTimer or some other registry monitoring program enabled. That's fine, as long as you know that the changes being made are safe. If you are installing a program, it is simply asking for permission. Spybot can also lock your homepage, so if you have had a problem with that, check Spybot's settings.
Message Edited by Bugbatter on 05-29-2008 08:27 AM

1.5K Posts

May 29th, 2008 11:00

LemonDrop50 wrote:

When i called dell a few days ago and asked a dell person how to set back my homepage i got charged 39 bucks for that it makes me so angry i should of waited and asked here how to change it.

http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=sw_winxp&thread.id=253567&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

Why did you call Dell and pay that $39.00 ?  On May 20th I told you how to correct / change your homepage... 

If I were you, I'd run a couple very thorough  malware scans.....  Seems to me like a few wierd things going on in that registry....

2 Intern

• 

516 Posts

May 30th, 2008 22:00

your right i do have tea timer i looked at spybot thanks also about calling dell i called first like an idiot my fault i deserve it suppose. and i dont have two IE's i deleted one i have malware bytes and it found stuff on the first run and everything seems fine now so if anything wierd goes on i will let ya know thanks all for your help and you too tommy i feel stupid for calling dell dont have a clue why i do what i do LOL
No Events found!