Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 28th, 2017 01:00

preparaing disk repair stuck

I hello everyone  , 

'm using a Dell Inspiron 15R laptop, operating on the latest update of windows 8.1. When I turned on my laptop today, it was acting fine. When it asked me for the password, after typing it in, my computer froze. I left it alone for a few minutes. When it didn't unfreeze, I decided to manually shut it off using the power button. The power button didn't succeed in turning it off, so I closed my laptop and left it alone for a while. When I opened it up, there was a black screen. I tried turning it on, to no effect; it almost seemed like it froze with the screen off. After a few more attempts of trying to turn it on/off, shutting the laptop, opening it again and repeating the process, it finally turned on. The  Then the Dell symbol popped up again, and beneath it, it said "Preparing Automatic Repair" with a loading symbol. After a few seconds, the screen flashed black, then the Dell symbol popped up again, underneath it there being a loading symbol and the words "Diagnosing your PC." The words then changed again to "Repairing disk errors. This might take over an hour to complete." After waiting two hours, I turned it off and on a few more times, hoping that it would fix itself, but to no avail. I really need to fix this as soon as possible, because I need my laptop to do homework. I haven't backed up my computer, so is there still any way to save the stuff I have saved to my computer?I chatted with MS customer care  . he told me to go for full format of my laptop . earlier boot option menu was coming. but I performed once chkdsk\r cmd on command prompt. but not I am not able to get boot option menu :-( please help me L:-( I dont have the boot CD 

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

August 29th, 2017 00:00

Thank you for your message.

This could be an issue with the Windows OS or the hard drive.

Were there any Windows updates or software changes made earlier, like game or anti-virus installation?

Disconnect the power cord & remove the battery (if removable) press & hold down the power button for 30 seconds.

Connect the battery & power cord back in & start the computer by tapping f2 to get into bios & check if the hard drive is detected.

Run a hardware diagnostic by following this link http://bit.ly/2fJuGXB  

Please click on my Dell username & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

No Events found!