Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 22nd, 2007 06:00

"Dell Storage Manager Driver" prevents Vista installation

I have a problem to upgrade to vista on my precision workstation 470. Vista Setup tells me after a long time that "Dell storage manager driver" have to be removed from system before by deinstalling it over software panel in system.

The problem is that this driver seems to be removed already. There is no more entry similar to that in the software or in the registry or anywhere I can find it.

Thanks for any help!

12K Posts

January 22nd, 2007 07:00

Appears it want a clean install.

January 22nd, 2007 09:00

Sure I can do a clean installation but that's not what I want to do.

Anyone else with help?

12K Posts

January 22nd, 2007 09:00

What is the hard drive configuration for this machine?  SATA, if so, you will need to provide the Driver.  Any external drives connected or mapped?

January 22nd, 2007 10:00

Yes, SATA. My information from vista upgrade advisor is that I don't need to provide drivers.
Vista wants me to uninstall the specified driver. If you can tell me what this driver is, I can try to install- and uninstall it again.

January 22nd, 2007 11:00

This is the original information Vista Setup stored on the Desktop after cancelling setup:
Führen Sie die folgenden Änderungen durch, bevor Sie Windows installieren.
      Beenden Sie die Windows-Installation, öffnen Sie die Systemsteuerungsoption "Programme" und deinstallieren Sie folgende Programme:
      • Dell Storage Manager Driver
        Der Kompatibilitätsbericht wird auf dem aktuellen Windows-Desktop gespeichert.

XP Professional , preinstalled from Dell.

12K Posts

What OS is on the system now?  I can find nothing that references that phrase other than Dell;s Open Management Software.

January 22nd, 2007 12:00

Oh, I'm sorry! You expect me to read English?

At least you can read that Vista installer complains about a Dell driver. Anyone at Dell should know this driver.

12K Posts

January 22nd, 2007 12:00

You expect us to be able to read German?  Sorry, I can't help.

1.9K Posts

January 23rd, 2007 04:00

Wait this is an english web site isn't it?:smileywink: When I go to a German web site I would post in German...

pcgeek11

2 Posts

January 31st, 2007 20:00

After speaking with a few Tech Support guys with Dell for about 2 hours on this issue, they finally came to the conclusion that a clean install will be needed. They could not find what Vista was picking up as the Dell Storage Manager Driver.

I find this unacceptable due to the fact that I manage my entire network as well as all software development from my Precision 670. So, the workaround that the Tech guys and I came up with was to install a second hard drive and do a clean install of Vista onto that hard drive to create a dual boot system. The Tech guy also asked that if i run into any hardware compatibility issues, to call and let him know. Now, I know that this sounds ridiculous, but I think this should work, at least in my case. As soon as I get the drive in and try this out, I will post back the results.

2 Posts

February 5th, 2007 17:00

Ok. It appears that the dual boot option does work. I now have Vista up and running on my Precision 670. Luckily, in my case, this was a great solution. However, I am sure that not everyone will want to purchase another hard drive and dual-boot their system. It seems that Dell should know how to get round this problem. Apparently they did not get a copy of Vista to test their machines with. Later, Trip

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 11th, 2007 16:00

Precision 670 & XP-Pro SP2 pre-install by Dell

I find it out :smileyhappy:, "Dell storage manager driver" is "afamgt.sys"

So to bypass the Vista upgrade compatibility control, you just have to rename this file. Personally i rename it "afamgt.xsys" and Vista upgrade compatibility control does not see it anymore !!! and don't ask you anymore to uninstall "Dell storage manager driver" : Upgrade is possible now :smileyvery-happy:

PS: Be carefull not to reboot after rename and before installing Vista, otherwise you'll get a magnificent bluescreen ! and you'll be unable to reboot XP. (If so you must have another HD with an operative OS to reboot, plug your first disk as slave and rename the driver it's original name : "afamgt.sys" that's all)

PS: After all those problems i will make a dual boot and let my XP-Pro on the first partition !

Hope you'll enjoy this solution

Message Edited by Devwil on 07-11-2007 01:15 PM

1 Message

June 12th, 2008 13:00

locate the file afamgt.sys and either rename or delete. The file is located under \system32\drivers
    No Events found!