Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 18th, 2010 06:00

"Redirect" - Bing & Google Searches

I need help in identifying and getting rid of something that is redirecting links to sites returned by Bing and Google searches.

Selecting some links returned by Bing and Google searches result in the selected site URL being changed ("Redirect") to a marketing site. For instance, using either Bing or Google to search for "Oceanmist", a farming business in California, the correct URL link for Oceanmist Farms is returned as one of the options.  When I select the Ocean Mist link, Internet Explorer starts the linking process to www.oceanmist.com, then something labeled as "Redirect" changes the URL to one of many marketing sites, e.g. findstuff.com, or shopcompareus.com.  However, when I return to the Google or Bing search page and again search for Oceanmist and select the same link, the Redirect does not occur and I go directly to the Ocean Mist site.

What is strange is that this only happens with certain sites. For instance, it happens with all search links that include a Wikipedia site, but it does not happen with any search link to an automobile company or dealer, or links to hobby sites.  Also it only happens with the Inspiron Mini 1012 running Win7 Home and IE8, but not with the XPS17 and Optiplex 755, also running Win7 Home and IE8.

Scans of the system, including the Registry turn up nothing.  Attempts to isolate the HTML or Macro code from History to identify its file name appear to be blocked. When I uninstall and reinstall IE8, the Redirect does not occur the first time I use Bing or Google, but then after closing and re-executing IE8 the Redirect does occur with the first Bing or Google search.  So obviously the file is imbedded somewhere in the system and somehow linked to Bing and Google searches.

Can somebody help me identify and get rid of this?  Thanks

20.5K Posts

December 18th, 2010 08:00

It sounds as if you have some malware in there. I suggest posting a log on the Malware Removal Forum. You will notice that others being helped on that forum have similar issues.

Please Read This Before Posting On the Malware Removal Forum  so that you include the required log.

45 Posts

December 18th, 2010 14:00

It sounds as if you have some malware in there. I suggest posting a log on the Malware Removal Forum. You will notice that others being helped on that forum have similar issues.

Please Read This Before Posting On the Malware Removal Forum  so that you include the required log.

Thank you

20.5K Posts

December 18th, 2010 19:00

Don't forget to include your log, or your post may be skipped. You can edit your post by clicking on the pencil icon on the lower left so that you can add your log.

45 Posts

December 19th, 2010 06:00

Sorry I haven't gotten back to y'all sooner, but I've been tied up.  I'm planning to download and run HJT this afternoon, then post the log.

Thanks for your help and advice.

159 Posts

December 19th, 2010 06:00

I suggest you installing Avast or Avira antiviurs and also spy terminator on your system to remove probable viruses/spywares from your computer.

20.5K Posts

December 19th, 2010 18:00

Thanks for letting us know. There is no need for the initial HJT log as long as you have posted DDS logs. It appears that you and your helper will be cleaning a rootkit. You are in good hands with Kevin. We might as well close this topic so you can continue on the other forum.

No Events found!