Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 17th, 2013 07:00

"System Restore" is not on by default.

I have a new Dell desktop XPS 8500 and "System Restore" was not on by defualt.

My Operating system is Windows 7 and it is installed on C:

I had to manually turn "System Restore" on for C: and then create a system restore point.

"System Restore" should be on by defualt.

Does Dell use a custom-built OS image?
They could have failed to enable "System Restore" in their images.

Whats going on?

If I should ever perform a clean install of my OS, then I want

"System Restore" to come on by default like it is suppose to.

How do I make this happen?

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

July 17th, 2013 08:00

System restore is not an image. You're confusing it with return to factory settings. The only thing system restore does is go back a few days to your settings before a problem occurred and it is seldom used in windows 8. Win 8 has Refresh which refreshes system files and Remove Everything and reinstall windows--which includes going back to factory settings-- both in PC Settings. Look up Recovery in Help for more about win 8 recovery options. You also should have Dell's backup and recovery program.

4 Posts

July 17th, 2013 09:00

I am not confusing anything.

I have Windows 7, Not Windows 8

My new Dell is an  XPS 8500 and it did not have "System Restore" set to "ON" by defualt.

It should be on by default.

If I ever need to perform a clean install of the OS, I want the "System Restore" on by default.

I should not have to turn "System Restore" on manully on a Brand new Dell computer or after performing

a clean install of the Windows 7 operating system.

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

July 17th, 2013 10:00

Hi r1jamn,

System restore can be Turned On or Off with in the Operating system. Refer this link: http://dell.to/13OG9Jy

System Protection is turned on by default on all hard disks after Windows 7 operating system is reinstalled in any Dell computer.

4 Posts

July 17th, 2013 10:00

I have already turned "System Restore" to "ON".

I know how to do that.

My question is why was my Dell computer sent to me with "System Restore" turned off.

It should have been turned on by default.

If I ever need to reinstall my OS, then "System Restore" will be turned off by defualt also.

But why is it that it was not turned on by default?

There must be a setting in the "Reovery" partition that I can change

so that "System Restore' will turned on by default if I ever need to reinstall my Windows 7 OS.

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

July 18th, 2013 03:00

Hi r1jamn,

I am really not sure of what happened on your computer however system restore is always On by default, even on Dell systems.

If you have installed Malware bytes or any virus scan software, there is a good chance that while scanning the hard drive, the system restore folder might have been removed.

4 Posts

July 18th, 2013 08:00

No, I do not have Malware Bytes installed.

McAfee Anti Virus through Dell is loaded.

This is a BRAND NEW COMPUTER.

It did not have "System Restore" set to "ON" by default.

Again, I need to know how to get into the "Recovery" Partition and

make sure that the settings are enabled for "System Restore".

I want to make sure if I ever need to perform a clean reinstall of the operating system

that "System Restore" will be enabled.

That is all I need at this point.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

July 18th, 2013 12:00

You can't get into Dell's Recovery Partition to change anything.

If you want to be sure things are correct if you ever need to do a clean install, you should image the hard drive onto DVDs ASAP, with System Restore turned on, and use those disks to reset back to as close as possible to the factory state.

Also keep in mind that if the hard drive ever fails, the Recovery Partition is useless, so creating an image on DVDs now can save you from a lot of grief...

Was System Restore off the very first time you booted this new system or had you already connected it to the internet and/or installed addtional software. If you'd already been on the net, you might want to scan thoroughly for malware because some malware turns System Restore off, in addtion to whatever else it may do.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

July 20th, 2013 09:00

Sounds like incorrectly loaded Windows at factory settings. Dell preload Windows using a factory image (on multiple computers) and this often has problems compared to clean installation e.g. with Windows Update or System Restore (as in your case). Loading to the factory settings won't fix the problem as they contain the problem. I don't know why the factory settings didn't have system restore enabled by default. You are best to manually load the OS to ensure everything is installed properly. Unfortunately you are not provided with the tools necessary to perform this task:

Dell do not provide Windows Reinstallation DVDs with systems due to an OEM Media Reduction Policy.

Fortunately you reside in the US and they have a US Customers Only Online Request Form for Reinstallation DVDs so should provide you the media. Otherwise you will need to purchase a new Windows license. I had provided a complete alternative means of installation via a downloadable solution but had to remove it.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

July 20th, 2013 17:00

It appears that Dell is configuring new systems with System Restore off by default. Perhaps it's thought that the other features built into Win 8 are sufficient without System Restore.

I just got a new Inspiron Ultrabook and Win 8 System Restore was off by default on it too.

No Events found!