Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 6th, 2010 10:00

re Safe Mode

I started running into issues yesterday morning, I have a Latitude D610 with XP Pro operating system.When I try to run Safe Mode any of them, and click the Windows (default), I get an error message saying (Windows root) \system32\hal.dll is missing or corrupt Please reinstall a copy of the above.

I have tried to restore using Wndows XP disc but no help.

Suggestions?

David

4 Posts

August 8th, 2010 08:00

See if the directions HERE help.

Mary, Thanks but none of the suggestions worked, anything else I could try?

Thanks for your help,

David

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

August 6th, 2010 18:00

See if the directions HERE help.

4 Posts

August 8th, 2010 09:00

Hi David,

I had a similar problem last year with a D610, This is what I had to do, 

Go into bios make sure the time and date are exactly correct,

Then disable S.M.A.R.T. for the hard disc, smart stands for:-  self monitoring and reporting technology,

Mine kept detecting an error until I disabled it, (I’ve not had any problems with it disabled in over a year,

This did the trick for, good luck

Terry

4 Posts

August 8th, 2010 10:00

Terry,

Thanks for the help with this but the problem is I can't access anything. If there is anything more information, like specifically how to disable S M A R T I would be gretaly appreciative.

David

1 Message

December 28th, 2010 17:00

Hi David,

I had a similar problem last year with a D610, This is what I had to do, 

Go into bios make sure the time and date are exactly correct,

Then disable S.M.A.R.T. for the hard disc, smart stands for:-  self monitoring and reporting technology,

Mine kept detecting an error until I disabled it, (I’ve not had any problems with it disabled in over a year,

This did the trick for, good luck

Terry

It helps me out of the problem, It's very detailed, Thanks for your sharing!

2.9K Posts

December 28th, 2010 21:00

David..,

First, disregard the inane comment by Queen.Landau. That's just one of a number of bots that are plaguing Dell, Microsoft, Cisco, Apple and other community forums.  I will report it to one of the Dell moderators and see if we can't get it removed.

Now, back to your problem.  Check out this Microsoft knowledge base article for several methods recommended to solve your problem:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314477

If one of these doesn't get you up and running, then you may have a problem with your hard drive's integrity.

Let us know how you fare.

Tony

No Events found!