Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 7th, 2009 10:00

re-installing older programs after replacing HHD and OS

I replaced my hDD and used the Dell reinstallation disk, I have  a Dell XPS210 with Windows XPPRO, i am very fond of my old programs, but now they wont install, I have a Quicken Special that say I need to fix my config.sys to have files=50 and buffers=10, I don't like to mess around with the config.sys and don't know if this would work anyway. These programs worked well with the old HDD. So am I missing a file or something?  I am not a cheapskste, I have newer programs, but prefer the old ones. As I grow older I find I dislike change more. Thanks

Helen 

2.6K Posts

November 7th, 2009 15:00

Kind of hit or miss sometimes when installing old programs.   Config.sys dates back to DOS-based operating systems and isn't used directly by XP  - so can't tell you why it used to work but now it doesn't. 

Couple things you can try before editing the file:   1) try installing it in compatibility mode (right-click the installation file on the disk, properties, compatibility)  2) try installing it in Safe Mode (tap F8 at the boot screen, go into Safe Mode, then run the installation).

Out of curiosity I dug up my copy of Quicken dating to 1994 (Windows 3.1) - and it installed without a hitch on my XP system without any error at all.    Checked the config.sys file and it was completely empty.   Go figure.

However, someone else did have luck with that error  - in post #8 they used RUN - sysedit to access the config.sys and add the 2 lines:

http://forums.pcw.co.uk/showthread.php?t=80020

8 Posts

November 8th, 2009 18:00

Hi Alexandra,

Thank you for the link,  I tried it and it works, but Quicken does not look the same as it did before, doesn't work the same way , but I will use it for a while..

I have tried some other programs and some work and some don't, strange! I tried the compatibility mode on all of them, but did not try safe mode.

Helen

No Events found!