Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 30th, 2016 17:00

recovery partition problem

I found my original Systm recovery disks, and system Repair disk however they are not working.The System Recovery Disk uses Dell Datasafe. the chosen option is to run from my Harddrive and computer reboots, during the reboot to the recovery partition, right away I get problem with the boot manager: "status: 0xc000000f      The boot selection failed because a required device in inaccessible" I have no problems booting from C drive. 

so then I thought i should run a repair on the MBR on the recovery partition, but then I found the recovery partition doesn't have a letter assigned.  This means I can't transfer missing files or anything.  so main question right now is how to name the recovery partition. and any other thoughts on system recovery giving this error.  should I uninstall datasafe and install DBAR? if so, do I need to start on an earlier version of DBAR and upgrade? or can I go straight to the latest version?

• 

16.7K Posts

October 5th, 2016 06:00

ladempke,

Click on the link below for information resolving this issue. Manually reinstalling Windows will not install the factory recovery partition. 

0xc000000f-error-read-boot-configuration-data/

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

October 5th, 2016 11:00

The upgrade to Windows 10 likely killed the recovery partition. Since you are selling you should wipe your HDD using Diskpart Clean All and clean Windows 10 directly:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-windows-10-oem-and-retail-iso/ 

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/cleaning-up-a-drive-format-vs-secure-wipe-ssd-and-hdd/useofdiskpart/ 

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

October 2nd, 2016 05:00

Sounds like your recovery partition is corrupt. Assuming this is a Windows 7 OEM install not a Windows Vista or Windows XP install.... then you are best to perform a clean installation with a Windows 10 RS1 .iso and activate with your Windows 7 OEM Product Key:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-windows-10-oem-and-retail-iso/ 

Should you wish to stick to Windows 7 see here:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/a-clean-install-of-windows-7/windows-7-installation/ 

• 

16.7K Posts

October 3rd, 2016 08:00

ladempke,

Below is information on how to repair your Windows 7 OS using Dell Backup and Recovery. 

For Windows 7:

Press F8 during boot (startup screen)
Select “Repair Your Computer”
Select “Dell Backup and Recovery” from the Recovery Options Menu

Running a repair on the recovery partition may corrupt the partition image, If this occurs you would need to manually reinstall Windows,

6 Posts

October 4th, 2016 20:00

natakkuc4, I had wondered if it was the partition. Back in July I did a restore to factory state.  Then I readjusted the partitions since it is a TB HD.  Later I wasn't able to get windows updates working, so I installed Windows 10 before the end of the free offer. It wasn't working smoothly either and research showed that it Windows 7 needed to be current on updates before upgrading to 10.  Also the Dell webpage for this model says it is not tested for 10.so since I am planning to sell this computer once everything is running the way it should, I decided to roll it back to 7 and let the buyer know they could run 10 if they choose since it has already been activated for 10.  I have since been able to get it fully updated using WSUS offline updater.  so if I could now get the restore and repair capabilities working correctly I feel it is ready to sell. ( apparently still worthy $150-200). But thanks for your links.  Do you know of any way to repair the partition?

6 Posts

Dell-Jesse, This did not work.  It gives me the boot error problem described above immediately after choosing "repair your computer".  I may have incorrectly described it on the original post when I described when I chose to repair from Hard drive.  I don't know if that actually originates and boots from the recovery partition or not.  i assumed it does and assumed it's boot is broken. As you may read from my asnwer to natakuc4 I have reinstalled windows on this one and finally got alll the updates on it.  Although I have the Recovery discs and the repair disc they won't work so I don't feel it is adequate to sell unless I can get this working again. when you say manually reinstall you mean from the original install discs? they didn't come with this model but I made the Recovery discs.  I always thought that was all you needed for a worst case scenario.Is there another way to manually install?

6 Posts

Dell Jesse, I just did your suggestion again.F8-Repair your computer- then it takes me to boot manager screen that says "status: 0xc000000f      The boot selection failed because a required device in inaccessible" but it also says I can put in the installation CD. so I put in disc one of the 3 recovery cd's and it took me to Dell Datasafe Local Backup welcome screen prompting to run from hard disk (recommended) or continue with system recovery disc.  This is where I chose hard drive and it says it will reboot to recivery partition, but then it comes back to the same bootmanager screen  "status: 0xc000000f      The boot selection failed because a required device in inaccessible". If I were to choose "continue with system recovery disc" rather than hard drive, would it reinstall everything including recovery partition? or would it only only reinstall Windows7p1 and I would have the same recovery partition problems.  I would hate to end up there again since it took a day to get all the updates in. Any suggestions?

6 Posts

October 6th, 2016 22:00

Dell-Jesse,

Thank you for that informative link, but most of those need the install discs which I don;t have.  It does offer the option of buying the Easy Recovery Essentials program but since it is costs, I'll put that as last resort. Since manual install won't install the recovery partition, that means I need to sell it without. Thank you for your suggestions.

6 Posts

October 6th, 2016 22:00

natakuc4,

since I can't get the factory recovery partition to work, I may as well sell it with OS only. So I will take your advice and wipe it and load Windows 10.  Thank you for the links and your great website.

3 Posts

September 28th, 2022 10:00

If you still have your factory disk put it back in and boot to dell os recovery. Just some quick information if you have to reset the pc don't not select the version where you have to download the updated version.

If you change any network components updating os recovery won't auto update via wifi. 

Put yout ssd in the enclosure. Proceed to the cloning option you must have the latest version to see this option. 

Select clone and clone to an hdd in a USB housing not select usb device.

The software would automatically expand the partition. The software clearly state after cloning you must immediately installed the ssd before booting. If you boot back the system and don't do this you can cause issues.

Also when swapping the ssd don't not remove the battery just ensure you be carefully ssd in most case can be install and remove causing no issues.

When you change the ssd and power up for the first time don't press anything let system boot then you can restart and ensure the recovery partition is working.

When installing a new ssd I always recommend backing up your information. Reset it via the os recovery. Using the factory option not the install updated version option. Then run the clone so you can always have a fresh disk you can clone from.

No Events found!