Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 4th, 2009 14:00

seeking help on restorating XP OS

Hi there,

I am a novice to operating system. I was trying to re-install XP OS using the restoration cd that came along with the purchase of my deaktop DIMENSION 5150. After the re-installation started a while (in blue screen), an error message pops out:

This application has failed to start because winsrv was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.>

Then I started installation, nothing else happened. same error message and re-installation stops there forever.

I wonder if any one here had this same problem and how to get it resolved.  I appreciate any suggestions and helps.

BTW, anyway to get a complete re-installation cd (not restoration one) from DELL?

Happy New Year

SF123

Hi there,

I am a novice to operating system. I was trying to re-install XP OS using the restoration cd that came along with the purchase of my deaktop DIMENSION 5150. After the re-installation started a while (in blue screen), an error message pops out:

This application has failed to start because winsrv was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.>

Then I started installation, nothing else happened. same error message and re-installation stops there forever.

I wonder if any one here had this same problem and how to get it resolved.  I appreciate any suggestions and helps.

BTW, anyway to get a complete re-installation cd (not restoration one) from DELL?

Happy New Year

SF123

You can get it at this link. Just input your information like the shipping and also you e-mail address so you can track the request. This would take about 3 to 5 days to get to you.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd_form_internal

6.4K Posts

Actually, the reinstallation disk Dell sends is a full copy of Windows XP.  Dell hasn't used restore disks in more than five years.

Before going this route, however, the Dimension 5150 should have a restore partition that can save you some time, if you still have the original hard drive.  To access it, start the computer and as POST is finishing, press CTRL and F11, releasing both simultaneosly before you see the message "Loading Descriptor for PBR2...Done" below a blue bar at the top of the screen.  If you do this correctly you should get a page allowing you to restore the computer to its factory delivered state.  The process completely replaces the contents of the C drive with the original, Dell loaded, software, just like it was the day you opened the box.

If you still wish to perform this task manually you must boot from the CD.  Dells normally have two possible ways to accomplish this.  Start the computer and press F12 at the Dell screen during POST.  When the one time boot menu appears, select CD ROM drive as the device (with the CD in the drive, of course), and press a key when you get the message to "Strike any key to boot from CD".  The second way is to start the computer, press F2 during POST, and when the setup menu appears, navigate to the Boot Order menu and make the CD ROM drive number 1.  Put the CD in the drive, exit setup saving changes, and press a key when you get the message telling you to strike a key to boot from CD.

Before you do any of this, however, make sure you back up anything you want to keep, go to Device Manager and note the Display Device (video card) and Modem (if you have one) as there are several of these to choose from, and if the computer is still functional, copy the C:\Dell\Drivers contents to a CD.  That last contains the current drivers used in the machine and could be of some help later.

You will need to load drivers after installing Windows; you should have a Dell Resource CD that has them, but you can also find them here:  Dimension 5150 Drivers.

3 Posts

January 4th, 2009 15:00

Jack,

Yes. The CD I used is a reinstallation CD not a restoration CD. I have missed the chance to run restoration before the reinstallation. I am not sure if it is a complete reinstallation CD, because it is only on one cd that say "service pack 2". No matter if I changed boot sequence, I always got the same error message. that is to say, even if I reboot the computer from CD-rom, same problem. I doubt if the reinstallation CD is good one to go...

Hope I am able to receive one set of reinstallation CD to get my computer back to work correctly.

Thank you very much

SF123

3 Posts

January 4th, 2009 15:00

smileuhaveahappyday,

Thanks for quick reply. I have requested one reinstallation CD from the link you gave to me.

1.7K Posts

January 6th, 2009 08:00

I am not sure if it is a complete reinstallation CD, because it is only on one cd that say "service pack 2". No matter if I changed boot sequence, I always got the same error message. that is to say, even if I reboot the computer from CD-rom, same problem. I doubt if the reinstallation CD is good one to go...

That sounds like it may be an XP Service Pack 2 CD and not a full XP reinstallation CD.  If so, it would account for the errors.  The disk you want is going to say "Operating System Reinstallation CD, MS Windows XP Home (or Pro)" on it.

No Events found!