Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 20th, 2006 16:00

turning off computer problem

I have an XPS 400.  When I go to shut down, it goes as far as "windows is shutting down", that's it.  I have to turn off the computer by the on/off button.  I have not added any new software or hardware.  I don't want to have to put it back to it's default when I bought it as I will lose all my stuff and have to reload everything again.  Can anyone please help me?  I would really appreciate it.  I am a grandma and I use my computer to mostly talk to my grandchildren who live far from me.   Thanks in advance!!!!

2 Posts

November 20th, 2006 18:00

I hope someone gives you a good answer with this.  Mine does the same thing and has for the past six months and I just simply have not had time to figure it out.  I posted something similiar to this last night along with other error messages.  I will try to keep a close look on what someone tells you.  I also don't want to go to default as I don't have the time to reload everything.
Good Luck Melinda

November 20th, 2006 19:00

have you tried disabling the background programs via msconfig it can sometimes help the issue, might not help in this particular case but may be worth a go.

549 Posts

November 20th, 2006 20:00

Hi
Maybe something here will help http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm Good luck

November 21st, 2006 16:00

Thanks for replying all.  My computer is only 6 months old.  I have had a dell tech tell me that maybe I should put it back to factory default.  I don't want to do that then I will have to load everything all over again and that took me quite a while to do when I fifrst bought this one.  I am hoping that a Dell tech will help me out with this.  I will let you know.  Thanks Sue

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

November 21st, 2006 17:00

You might want to try a System Restore to an earlier date. If this doesn't help, then perhaps a reboot pressing F8 at the Dell screen and try Last Good Configuration. Unfortunately many "small" problems or configuration settings can cause a hang-up on shut-down. Google on the problem and see what you can find.

November 21st, 2006 21:00

Thanks KirkD,  How far back can I do a restore?  I'm new to this stuff.  You said and last good configuration--what does that mean?   I did do a restore to a couple of days before the problem started.

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

November 21st, 2006 23:00

Yes, you want to use one that was done before the problems occurred. XP will normally do a save about once a day all by itself. This interval can be adjusted.

November 22nd, 2006 12:00

Thanks KIRKD  I will try it and dlet you know. Thanks again, Sue
No Events found!