Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

DH

August 22nd, 2006 03:00

two mice, both USB, how to make one left handed, one right handed?

I wan't to have two mice connected but have the buttons have the correct left or right orientation.

I can do this on my latitude using the d-port replicator.  I have a USB mouse and a PS2 mouse installed and running at the same time. The touch pad/pointer driver has an option to swap left right buttons on the USB mouse. this is fantastic as it allows me to have two mice, and both are correctly oriented.

I've not been able to make this work on my Dimension 5150...
I have two USB mice. OS see's both mice, and both mice work but I cannot find a way to make one left handed and one right handed. The settings apply to both mice at the same time so both have left hand or both have right hand button orientation.

any tips?

thanks,

- Dan

2.4K Posts

August 22nd, 2006 10:00

i would one mice on the computer

if you have 2 mice computer not know what one to used

some time mice have their own softwaer with it.

1. go to Control Panel

2. click on mouse

3.you will see botton configuration

1.2K Posts

August 22nd, 2006 15:00

Two mice at the same time works just fine. The computer just registers it as another input device.

I've never had the computer get confused. You can use both at the same time. Move one, click with the other, click and highlight with one, paste with the other. It gets a little goofy if you are moving both at the same time, but as soon as you stop moving one it takes the movement input from the other.

I've been through the control panel and the mouse settings but any changes affect both mice.

The second mouse didn't come with any drivers or additional software, its just a vanilla USB optical mouse. 

1.2K Posts

August 22nd, 2006 16:00

Being a software guy I didn't even think about rewiring the mouse. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks!!

2K Posts

August 22nd, 2006 16:00

Hopefully someone will have a software/config solution for you. If not, as a last resort you might be able to open up one of the mice and swap the wiring from the left and right switches.

472 Posts

August 23rd, 2006 00:00

You do not need 2 mice to do this. You simply need two separate Users - you can call them LEFT and RIGHT.

On one, go into Control Panel (Classic View) and double click on MOUSE. Turn on the flag which says "Swicth primary and secondary buttons" This user will then have the buttons reversed (the other one remains unchanged.)

1.2K Posts

August 23rd, 2006 01:00

Kanuk001, thanks for the suggestion, but you missed my point of what I want. 

I want two mice at the same time.  I want both to work and I want both correctly oriented, which means the primary buttons are swapped on one of the mice.

As I mentioned, I can do this on my latitude. I can also do it with a com-paq laptop and I'd like to find a way to do it on my desktop.

2 Posts

August 28th, 2006 01:00

Portable systems may have the dual-pointing feature, whereas desktops may not.

1 Message

June 22nd, 2020 22:00

You can use this software

https://www.eithermouse.com/

1 Message

July 25th, 2020 09:00

Great software, thanks for sharing!

74 Posts

July 28th, 2020 03:00

That really doesn't work. It is tragic to see that such a significant element is absent from windows, and it is baffling to see such replies on Microsoft site (Mark's) ... (if you don't mind right me in the event that I am off-base).
Like the first banner, I need to have the option to utilize both of my hands for pointing. I need to utilize two mice, one remaining gave (for left hand) and one right gave (for right hand), and would prefer not to do a heap of setting changes each time I change hands to accomplish that.
It is truly sensible anticipate that Windows should permit distinctive setting for various pointing gadgets, and there are a lot of them today.

No Events found!