Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 3rd, 2009 20:00

upgrade or full?

I was thinking about buying windows 7 but from what i can tell on the page it makes think what's the differance between the upgrade or full version.Can some one please answer this 'cause it's confusing.

2.4K Posts

July 4th, 2009 01:00

If you buy the upgrade version you must have a previous copy ot XP or Vista installed on your computer to load it. If you buy the full version no previous Operating system is needed and you can do a clean install of Windows 7.

213 Posts

July 4th, 2009 01:00

Both the 32 bit and the 64 bit OS are on the Windows 7 media now.

If you upgrade from Vista (32 bit) , it will only upgrade to Windows 7 (32 bit). Same for Vista (64 bit), it will upgrade to Windows 7 (64 bit).
Cannot go from a Vista (32 bit) to a Win7 (64 bit), or vice versa. (It's been asked a lot in other forums.)

So the upgrade means it needs a previous version of Vista installed to upgrade  to Windows 7.

* In theory, you could image your Vista Installation with True Image or Ghost, and upgrade to Windows 7, then recover the Vista partition to another partition or hard drive, use a boot manager program editor, and boot both OS'.

The alternate is to purchase the full version and install where and how you want without the hassle.

16 Posts

July 5th, 2009 09:00

So then i have to have the full version to do a clean install on windos xp.Is that right? or will the upgrade do the same thing?

16 Posts

July 5th, 2009 10:00

never mind, i found out that even the the upgrade version of windows 7 will do a clean install on windows xp computer.

No Events found!