Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 5th, 2009 21:00

windows 7 clean install

im in the uk and wanted to know if i could do a clean install with the dell windows 7 upgrade disc and if i can how do i do it i havent actually got the disc yet but it has shipped and i should get it by 11 november

87 Posts

November 5th, 2009 21:00

Mine has shipped and is scanned out of East Midlands airport for delivery today :)    Anyway its not a good place to ask that question on a dell forum as it is illegal to do a clean install as you will have an upgrade dvd, anyway get google up and type in a search "windows 7 upgrade clean install" and you will find something to get you on your way.

regards

Doughy

13 Posts

November 5th, 2009 22:00

thanks for the help

34 Posts

November 6th, 2009 01:00

its not illegal to do a clean install.

its illegal if you have vista basic or xp or anything below that

what i want to know is HOW to do a clean install. after hitting custom install, then what

i dont have my dvd yet...

370 Posts

November 6th, 2009 07:00

im in the uk and wanted to know if i could do a clean install with the dell windows 7 upgrade disc and if i can how do i do it i havent actually got the disc yet but it has shipped and i should get it by 11 november

Here are installation options for about any scenario you can think of. You'll just want to select the "custom" install option near the beginning of the process.

http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/

2 Intern

• 

4.4K Posts

November 6th, 2009 08:00

Microsoft published their 'official' way for doing a clean install from an upgrade DVD:

http://bink.nu/news/microsoft-official-method-for-clean-install-using-upgrade-media.aspx

370 Posts

November 6th, 2009 08:00

According to an update on Paul Thurrott's site, Microsoft's preference now is that you simply call them if your installation doesn't activate.  (That's lots easier than the "double-install" method.)

7.9K Posts

November 6th, 2009 10:00

Why bother with a double install when you can just change a registry key and run a command?  Calling microsoft for activation has always been painless in my experiance, but the registry solution still seems quicker.

No Events found!