Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 31st, 2009 13:00

windows 7 recover disk fails with 0X4001100200001012

I have a new Dell XPS 9000 and an Inspiron 1545 notebook. Both have windows 7 64 bit. When I create recovery disks using windows 7, and test them, they boot all the way, and then fail with an error code 0X4001100200001012. I am only seeing this behavior with the two new Dell's I've bought. I cheap HP desktop that I also have creates recovery disks that do not cause this error. My search of the Internet makes me believe that I am not alone in seeing this problem with Dells. I have used the windows scan feature to correct any OS file errors. Recommendations to slow down the CD burn to stop any corruption cannot be implemented when creating a recovery disk in widows. Since I have the OS disk, I can always boot from that in an emergency, but this is still somewhat annoying.

Does anyone have any ideas about what the cause is? I tried microsoft tech support (they had no idea) and Dell tech support (they had less of an idea). Anyone seen this or know how to solve it.?

1 Message

August 29th, 2010 12:00

I have the same issue.  I tried for hours just about every recommendations found on trusted web sites.

Then I decided to try something.  I created a Windows 7 (64-bit) System Repair disk from my Lenovo T410.  IT WORKS FINE ON THE DELL XPS 9100, even using the wired network as the source of the backup (I have a small NAS where I store the image).

My T410 uses Windows 7 Ultimate (instead of Professional on the Dell), and has an Intel I7-620M (instead of I7-920 on the Dell), but this did have any impact.

Hope this helps!

-Patrick

2 Posts

September 27th, 2010 23:00

Interesting problem. I have Studio XPS-9000 and I am able to create a Win7 Ultimate repair disk that works without the 0X4001100200001012 error. I also have a Studio XPS-8100 using Win7 Home Premium that always gives the 0X4001100200001012 error. As a result the 8100 is incapable of recovering a backup without the Win 7 reinstallation disk.

Dell's solution appears to be DataSafe. The XPS-8100 operating system drive (boot drive) also has a recovery partition where the factory partition is stored. My XPS-9000 does not have this partition. When I received the 9000 it would not boot so I had to format the drive and install Win 7 Ultimate from the reinstall disk that shipped with the machine. Having the recovery partition on the same physical drive as the operating system leads to other vulnerabilities.

DataSafe as shipped is almost useless and I am not paying an upgrade price ($39.95) to get a functional backup that is already provided in Win 7. The local backup uses DVD's for storage. I quit the CD/DVD backup system years ago. I don't understand Dell reverting to antiquated methods for backup.

Enough about my problems. The best solution is to get the Win 7 reinstall disk which allows recovery of backup files and disk images. Win 7 provides an imaging utility under system protection. So make a backup image with Win 7 on an external drive, or if you have a second internal physical drive backup to that, I always do a disk image  and do incremental backups between images.

Even if you have to pay for the Win 7 reinstallation disk you have a better solution than DataSafe. You have to have a startup disk (either a working Win 7 repair disk or a Win 7 reinstallation disk) to get to the point where you can restore the image. Oddly enough the reinstallation disk never produces the error.

I wonder if you installed the Microsoft Win 7 (not Dell's OEM version) if you would have the same problems. I installed Win 7 32 bit on a Dimension 8300 and everything works as advertised with no errors.

Dell needs to recognize they have a problem and respond in an ethical way to correct it. Hope this helps,

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

December 31st, 2009 14:00

Dell does not require or allow you to create recovery disks as some other computer makers do. You must use one of the Recovery options explained HERE. Keep your Win 7 dvd safe for Recovery. Copy the activation keys that are on stickers on your computers and keep them handy. Also, Win 7 has disk cloning utilities built in to the OS. Open Backup for the instructions.

29 Posts

December 31st, 2009 19:00

I think you are confusing recovery disks, which basically are a way to reset the operating system with a copy of it, and an emergency disk which merely allows you to boot into an environment when your hard drive is down that allows you to restore from an image you have saved in the past.

14.4K Posts

December 31st, 2009 19:00

Try this info

You may try burning the repair disk at a lower speed, as at times due to a high speed burning the disk is not readable.

Also, the disk that you are creating it is getting corrupted while it is being created. What you may do is, run a System File Checker (SFC) Tool and the try creating a repair disk.

Steps to perform SFC scan:

1. Click the Start button

2. From the Start Menu, Click All Programs followed by Accessories

3. In the Accessories menu, Right Click on the Command Prompt option

4. From the drop down menu that appears, Click on the 'Run as administrator' option

5. If you have the User Account Control (UAC) enabled, you will be asked for authorization prior to the command prompt opening. You may simply need to press the Continue button if you are the administrator or insert the administrator password etc.

6. In the Command Prompt window, type: sfc /scannow and then press Enter

7. A message will appear stating that 'The system scan will begin'

8. Be patient because the scan may take some time

9. If any files require replacing, SFC will replace them. You may be asked to insert your Windows 7 for this process to continue

10. If everything is okay you should, after the scan, see the following message "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations"

11. After the scan has completed, close the command prompt window, restart the computer and check.

For more information please visit the below given link:

How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Once you have run the scan try creating a repair disk and check if you get the same error when you try to boot.

Hope this information is helpful.

29 Posts

January 1st, 2010 02:00

I've seen this advice. Tried. Does not work. Also, there is no way, when creating such a disk, to instruct the burner to burn at a slower rate. What I'm puzzled about is that all the postings for this problem are Dells, but its an OS feature to burn the disks. Very strange.

29 Posts

September 28th, 2010 04:00

This answer is an exact description of what is going on with the Dell's recovery error, and appropriate errors to deal with them. When I first experienced it almost 1 year ago, I assumed that surely it was a small batch error that Dell would correct in future machines. It is amazing to me that they are still shipping machines with crippled OS7 recovery features.

Interesting problem. I have Studio XPS-9000 and I am able to create a Win7 Ultimate repair disk that works without the 0X4001100200001012 error. I also have a Studio XPS-8100 using Win7 Home Premium that always gives the 0X4001100200001012 error. As a result the 8100 is incapable of recovering a backup without the Win 7 reinstallation disk.

Dell's solution appears to be DataSafe. The XPS-8100 operating system drive (boot drive) also has a recovery partition where the factory partition is stored. My XPS-9000 does not have this partition. When I received the 9000 it would not boot so I had to format the drive and install Win 7 Ultimate from the reinstall disk that shipped with the machine. Having the recovery partition on the same physical drive as the operating system leads to other vulnerabilities.

DataSafe as shipped is almost useless and I am not paying an upgrade price ($39.95) to get a functional backup that is already provided in Win 7. The local backup uses DVD's for storage. I quit the CD/DVD backup system years ago. I don't understand Dell reverting to antiquated methods for backup.

Enough about my problems. The best solution is to get the Win 7 reinstall disk which allows recovery of backup files and disk images. Win 7 provides an imaging utility under system protection. So make a backup image with Win 7 on an external drive, or if you have a second internal physical drive backup to that, I always do a disk image  and do incremental backups between images.

Even if you have to pay for the Win 7 reinstallation disk you have a better solution than DataSafe. You have to have a startup disk (either a working Win 7 repair disk or a Win 7 reinstallation disk) to get to the point where you can restore the image. Oddly enough the reinstallation disk never produces the error.

I wonder if you installed the Microsoft Win 7 (not Dell's OEM version) if you would have the same problems. I installed Win 7 32 bit on a Dimension 8300 and everything works as advertised with no errors.

Dell needs to recognize they have a problem and respond in an ethical way to correct it. Hope this helps,

1 Message

October 29th, 2010 17:00

Arrgh! Exact same problem. I can duplicate this on my Inspiron netbook, an Inspiron Zino HD and a Studio XPS. Netbook with Win7 Starter, the others with Win7 64-bit Home Premium.

Just spoke to those brain-dead folks in Manila, and I had to instruct their "tech" where the Winows Backup was, and how to create a repair disk. She kept referring to DataSafe. I almost lost my patience. After a bunch of heming and hawing, and some holds while she asked somebody else, she came back and said it wasn't their problem, and that the Dell warranty didn't cover it. Then she transferred me to a fee-based software support department. After 20 minutes of hold time I gave up.

My workaround is to run the system recovery from within Windows. It will ask you to back up your files (optional) and then it will boot into the recovery partition, scan your external drive for system images, and begin to do a system restore. BUT it will tell you that you can't do this from the C: drive, as that is the boot drive. You must boot from a CD. Do you want to create a CD? :-) Yaay. Have it create the CD and then boot from it.

Anyway, that's how I was able to do a full windows restore on the above mentined Zino.

Dell's ProSupport is generally pretty good. Their other support isn't worth warm spit. But that's just my opinion after 30+ years in the IT world. :)

September 2nd, 2011 12:00

Here's a few other possible solutions.

1. When you boot up - continually click on F8 - this brings you up to a menu which allows you to Restore your system image.

2. After talking to tech-support for at least an hour - I got them to send me a Windows 7 install disk.

3. I tried using another Win7 upgrade disk I have and it also has the Repair option.

I still wish the Restore disk I made would work, but I feel a little bit better with these options.

September 2nd, 2011 13:00

Here's another solution I just tried.

I took my wife's computer repair disk and tried it in my computer - IT WORKS!

Why my disks don't work is still a mystery.

So if you have a friend with a similar operating system, have them burn an extra repair disk for you to use.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 21st, 2014 07:00

My issue is that Error 0x4001100200001012  doesn't really tell you what is the problem.

2 Posts

July 22nd, 2014 09:00

Just remember Dell modifies Windows to make Data safe the primary backup service. To completely resolve the problem I installed a Microsoft OS without Dell modifications. This gets around amateurs installing marketing tools and other nonessential software in the OS. Of course, you still need drivers for your hardware. Windows 7 and later OSs are very good at finding and installing the correct drivers.

1 Message

June 1st, 2015 21:00

Had the same problem with the repair disk created on XPS8300.running Win 7 Pro 64bit for another XPS8300 running Win 7 Home Premium 64bit..  Then using the advice above I created a disk using a ThnkPad laptop which happened to be running Win7 Home Premium 64 bit and it worked as a charm!

No Events found!