Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 30th, 2009 12:00

windows 7 upgrade assistant

I got the disk for windows 7 and it said that I had to install the upgrade assistant first. I put the disk in and started it last night.  It is still working on the same screen at noon today.  I took it out and rebooted and started again and it seemed to start where it left off.  There is also a window open that says fast access setup.  When I hit the next button it brings up 2 choices that are greyed out which are modify or repair and the only black one that I can choose is remove.  I don't know what to do.  The only thing that I think may be a problem is that the "minimum requirements" that the disk listed that I needed said windows xp.  I wonder if I'm trying to install the wrong product for my machine - I have windows vista home premium and I just bought my computer in august and haven't installed anything.

99 Posts

October 30th, 2009 12:00

Your best bet is, if you don't have anything on your computer that you don't want to loose, is to just forget about the Upgrade Assistant disk & do a "clean" install.

6 Posts

October 30th, 2009 15:00

I am trying to run the assistant dvd but it stopped when it said Google Toolbar for IE was no good. I uninstalled it but it keeps telling me it is still there and it won't go any futher in the process. Do I really need to run the assistant before I put the other upgrade disc in?

I do not want to wipe my HD and start over to upgrade.

Currently on Vista, 64bit, Studio XPS 16.

6 Posts

November 4th, 2009 03:00

I got Windows 7 installed on my computer and everything seems to be working fine but, Dell Upgrade Assistant pops up everytime I start my computer. It is still not happy with Google Toolbar so it won't complete whatever it is supposed to do. How do I uninstall it? It doesn't show up in my programs list in My Computer. What is the file called or where is it located so I can delete it. The program starting with every start-up is VERY annoying.

100 Posts

November 4th, 2009 03:00

Any "words of wisdom" re: how to most easily do a clean install?  I've read about formatting a hard-disk, installing without registering, then doing a registry hack, but that seems a bit odd.  How do you "cleanly" do a "clean install"?  When installing over Vista, does the Windows 7 Upgrade DVD give you the option to do a "clean install" rather than the "upgrade" which frequently freezes at 62%?

Your best bet is, if you don't have anything on your computer that you don't want to loose, is to just forget about the Upgrade Assistant disk & do a "clean" install.

3 Posts

November 4th, 2009 08:00

I had the same thing happening to me, except the only thing I found from Google was sketchup and desktop.  I removed both but then went on to remove  a number of games I don't play currently and some genealogy software.  Each time I removed a couple programs I tried the upgrade again.  It would hang.  I would remove some more software and it eventually upgraded but now I'm having other problems.  Keep in mind that the upgrade assistant never mentioned this other software as being a potential issue.  Now, I think I'm going to try to undo the upgrade and wait until later after there's a few more resolutions out there for all of the problems this caused.  I don't know if this will help but good luck either way.

Rick

1 Message

November 10th, 2009 15:00

It kept poping up on mine with some program it didn't like. I went to msconfig and unchecked it under startup.

No Events found!