Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

March 31st, 2011 13:00

windows media center messenger failure

Windows XP

E510

Why do I get this message:  Windows Messenger Failure.

It is installed on my system.  Someone at Dell told me it was a Windows Media Center proplem.  Is there any fix for it.

Also I cannot add or delete anything directly from Wiondows Media Center.  Any suggestions?

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

March 31st, 2011 14:00

Messenger is not a media center program. It's part of Windows Live that is used for Instant Messages. Perhaps you installed the Vista and Win 7 version that doesn't work on XP.

186 Posts

March 31st, 2011 16:00

The message I get is Message Failure - Media Center was unable to open Messenger.  Plese make sure that Windows Messenger is installed on your system. 

It is installed. 

Note Security Update kb946648 for Windows XP cannot be removed.

Any other suggestions.  I do not wasnt to fool around with the registry..

371 Posts

March 31st, 2011 18:00

Those are really your two choices. The registry edit is really very simple and doesn't require that you actually open the registry.

Simply copy and paste the following into notepad;

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\ehshell.exe]

“AllowMessengerExecHandleFailure”=dword:00000001

Save the file as anyname.reg (note: the extension must be .reg) Then double click the file and "ok" the merge. You can set a restore point first if you're concerned.

This is the method I used and it worked fine. If memory serves it required a reboot to take effect.

D

186 Posts

April 1st, 2011 10:00

I want to be perfectly clear.  I open notepad and paste the line beginning { and ending exe.}.  I do not copy "AllowMessenger ... Then I click save as and a menu opens asking for

Save In

File name

Save As type

Encoding

Please tell me exactly what to do for each of these. I assume Icould sate to desktop and save as anyname.reg and all files ? and leave encoding as is?.  After I finish operation, can I delete the file I saved on the desktop?  Thank you for your help.

371 Posts

April 1st, 2011 12:00

You need to copy and paste both lines just as I put them into Notepad.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\ehshell.exe]

Click Save. (Desktop is a convenient place)  Any file name you want as long as it ends in .reg

Pick "All Files"  from the file type dropdown.

Encoding should be left as ANSI.

Double click the saved file. If it's named correctly with the .reg extension you will be asked to "OK" the merge to the registry. Do so.

Reboot.

D

186 Posts

April 1st, 2011 16:00

Still will not work.  I did as you said and got the following.

Are you sure you want to add the information in C:\Documents and Settings\Phyllis\Desktop\Fix For Messenger In Media Center.reg to registery?

I clicked on yes and got this message.

Registry Editor

Cannot import C:\Documents and Settings\Phyllis\Desktop\For Media.reg.  The specified file is not a registry script.

You can only import binary registry files from within the register editor.

371 Posts

April 1st, 2011 18:00

Please accept my apology, Long week :)

The .reg file should read;

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

It will work like that

186 Posts

April 1st, 2011 20:00

This time it worked and I rebooted, but I am still getting message Messenger failure.

Note in Add Remove Components Windows Messenger is checked.

I also have Windows Live Messenger.  I recently added it back because I thought it might have something to do with the problem but now I understand they are 2 different things.

How can I tell what version of Windows Messenger is on my computer or is there only one version.  Which one should I have?

371 Posts

April 3rd, 2011 04:00

Sorry I don't know what else to suggest. I know this method worked when I had the same problem. Perhaps you have something else going on.

You might want to try the Green Button Web site. It's entirely devoted to Windows Media Center. http://thegreenbutton.com/default.aspx

They have some very knowledgeable "regulars" in the forums there.

Best of luck

D

No Events found!