nothing (drag it out of my view), I can eventually get
into windows, but some things don't work, like my
scanner.  I have the most up to date McAfee, plus I've
worked with them on this, and I don't think it is a
virus. Can anyone help?

2.7K Posts

June 7th, 2004 23:00

Hi,

If the error occurred after installing a new or updated device driver, system service, or third-party application, you need to remove, disable, or roll back the driver, or uninstall the new software.
Could it be related to the scanner since it is not working?

When you drag the box away, can you
1.  right click My Computer / Properties / Hardware / Device Manager.   Look for "Yellow" errors.
2.  Control Panel / Performance and Maintenance / Admin Tools / Event Viewer / System.   Look for "Red" errors. Double click the error and note down the Event ID and Source to post back.

16 Posts

June 9th, 2004 13:00

Wow, I found some new stuff there!  Thanks.  I do not recall adding any new drivers before I started having this error.  The scanner has been working fine since I purchased my new DELL in January 2004.  That said, no yellow errors going thru My Computer.  However, in System in Event Viewer, there were two.  Service Control Mgr 7000 and DCOM 10003.  Another however, these two errors go way back before I started having this winlogon.exe error.  Anything else I can try?

2.7K Posts

June 9th, 2004 14:00

Hi,

Can you access Safe Mode?  If so try doing a System Restore or a "Last Known Good Config"

16 Posts

June 9th, 2004 16:00

Tried Last Known Good, but I still get the winlogon.exe error immediately after you see the Welcome screen.  System Restore only goes back a day and I've had this problem since May 25.

2.7K Posts

June 9th, 2004 17:00

Have you got XP Pro?

If so the instant the Welcome screen comes on press CTRL + ALT + DEL twice. Under normal circumstances the main Admin Account login screen will appear. If it doesn`t  work, try this a couple of times to try get the timing right.  It will ask for a password, and if you did not set one when you installed XP just press "Enter".  If you can get in with this, set up a new Admin Account and see if it will work.  It is possible that this could be a corrupt account.

16 Posts

June 9th, 2004 18:00

Well I tried, and it is almost simultaneous and I can't do it.  Even holding down the Ctl+ALT first and hitting DELETE as fast as I can from the black screen to the Welcome won't do it.  Sorry.

2.7K Posts

June 9th, 2004 19:00

Since I just remembered you can actually get into Windows, can you

1.   set up another Admin Account, and then see if it works properly 

2.  Can you search the hard drive and see how many winlogon.exe files you have ?

I have heard that the virus Netsky can disguise itself as winlogon.exe.

You should only have one file by this name and it should be in the \windows\system32\   directory
If it is also in \Windows then it is probably an imposter.  rename it with a .old extension.

3.  I have read that in one instance this was caused by McAfee

4.  If you can get online run this free scanner

Trend Micro Housecall      http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

See if you can do any of these

16 Posts

June 9th, 2004 21:00

PS  I renamed the winlogon.exe to winlogon.old, rebooted and no change in my error.  Got excited about it tho.....

16 Posts

June 9th, 2004 21:00

Have the one file in \windows\system32 as you said and another one in c:\I386 - both the same size and date (from 2002).  Yes, by the way, I am running XP Professional.  I am not using the admin account, only my own.  I have never used the admin account.  How do I go about setting up another one?  I have the latest McAfee files and I have worked with them.  They had me scan for viruses in DOS and then disable system restore, scan in DOS again and then reenable system restore.  I did all this with no viruses found.  I even uninstalled and reinstalled McAfee.  Nothing.  This scan may take a long time.  I will have to abort it as I have to leave.  Just wanted you to know the McAfee and winlogon.exe file in c:\I386.  Also will need help with setting up a new admin account or I may look it up in Help.  Am tired after sitting here all day working on this and now have to leave for an appt.  Thanks for all help thus far.  It is really appreciated.

2.7K Posts

June 9th, 2004 22:00

OK. 

Go back and change the file name back to its original winlogon.exe    It is just a duplicate of the correct file in a backup folder.

Sorry. I did not make myself clear about setting up another account.  I actually meant set up another account just like the one you already have,( another computer administrator account).  So it would look like
??????(give it a name)
Computer
Administrator

Then check if this account works

16 Posts

June 10th, 2004 17:00

Ran the scan from Trend Micro then ran it in my McAfee.  They both came up with the same thing that I have been coming up with everytime I run McAfee.  In Trend, it says Troj Agent.Bk - noncleanable in my Local Settings folder\temp\winhost32.exe and also in windows\system32\winhost32.exe.  In McAfee it finds the same things but refers to it as adware-virtumondo.  I just delete the two files since they can't be cleaned.  McAfee doesn't give it much attention.  When I turn on my machine, it just goes into my account.  Sorry I have to ask this, but how do I set up another account?

3 Posts

June 12th, 2004 13:00

Go to your dell owners manual page 97, and clear pass words.  Worked for me.

16 Posts

June 12th, 2004 14:00

Thanks, but my owner's manual for Dell Dimension 4600 is how to install memory.  Can you elaborate?

16 Posts

June 20th, 2004 17:00

Still working on this problem.  Set up another account and now I get the Welcome screen with the two accounts, but no matter which I pick, it will start to say loading, but then quickly goes to the winlogon.exe appl error again.

2.7K Posts

June 20th, 2004 18:00

Hi,

If you still have that Trojan you need to download

Hijack This           http://mjc1.com/mirror/hjt/

Make a special folder to download it to. Set it to "Scan" and then to create its "Log". This will be long, but copy all of it into Notepad and post it to be checked.

No Events found!