Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 21st, 2015 13:00

Why must client be deleted/re-added?

WDM5.0, Z90D7.  Every time I re-image a client, WDM shows it in a "yellow" status, and I can do nothing to manage it further.  Attempted operations simply queue up under Update Manager forever.  I suspect this has something to do with the fact that re-baselining the device (e.g. BZB0_0858_8192) also resets all agents to older versions.  It's necessary to force delete the device, manually set its WDM settings to point to the WDM server (since the various DNS & DHCP flags don't work) to get the device to eventually re-register, then re-upgrade the 3 endpoint clients, etc...

This software is atrocious.  The entire design of having multiple, independent clients that need to be pushed to every device, each having version incompatibilities with WDM, is just broken.  Just look at all these forum threads with suggested "workarounds" for these various issues, and multiply all the steps by a few hundred devices.  Caveat emptor.

19 Posts

May 21st, 2015 18:00

Jose- First thing to do here is get autodiscovery working with your devices. This will address the need to manually touch each unit. Everything else should wait until discovery is solid since you can push updates and at least factory baseline images. I understand you had a Dell consultant help set it up - I don't know what they setup but something is misconfigured as discovery is reliable when configured correctly. This device icon going yellow is directly tied to this as you are erasing the location of wdm and the device is unable to rediscover afterwards. Rather than baselining with a reset factory image you should apply just those 3 updates to bring the image current and then choose the right-click > get image option to capture that image as your new baseline. That way if you need to reset the device again it'll just be to factory state with the new mgmt agents. Is dhcp or DNS easier for you did get access to? There's a DNS-DHCP Lookup utility in start menu under WDM that should do a validation check on your discovery settings and confirm whether they are available on the local subnet wdm is on. Run that as a starting point and see if anything is found. From there can look at what needs to change on the settings or if there's some other conflict limiting discovery for your devices. -k
No Events found!