Start a Conversation

Unsolved

CB

5 Posts

November 24th, 2021 04:00

M.2 standoff screw for Dell Wyse 5070

Hi, I hope someone can help please.

I was about to add an M.2 SSD to my Dell Wyse 5070, but it appears to be missing the metal standoff that screws in to motherboard. The documentation shows a picture of it and describes it as an M3X3 screw, but it's not a regular M.2 screw as this one is a metal standoff with a hole/threading in the top for the actual M.2 SSD screw.

I don't suppose anyone knows the Dell part number or where I can get on please? 

November 27th, 2021 06:00

Here are a few pictures I found showing the M.2 SSD standoff I'm looking for (it has a hole in the top for a regular M.2 screw). I just need the dell part number and having a hard time finding it. Thanks

standoff 4.jpgstandoff 3.jpgstandoff 2.jpgstandoff 1.jpg

November 29th, 2021 03:00

Hi,

I'm having trouble locating a missing part for my Wyse 5070 Thin Client. I want to add an M.2 SSD but the motherboard appears to be missing the M.2 standoff. I can't find a replacement anywhere and can't even find the Dell part number. 

I found a few pictures online of what the standoff looks like. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

standoff 1.jpgstandoff 2.jpgstandoff 3.jpgstandoff 4.jpg

3 Posts

December 3rd, 2021 06:00

I used a motherboard  standoff screw to support mine 

IMG_20211202_160056.jpg

December 5th, 2021 03:00

I tried a regular size motherboard standoff, but the threading is a bit too narrow and it doesn't fit securely (also a tad too tall). For now I've just used a normal screw that fits the threading on the board with a small plastic spacer so the SSD is level. It seems to be holding ok for now.

50 Posts

August 6th, 2023 08:00

same issue.... can't believe dell don't add the standoff by default.... it is crazy!

50 Posts

August 6th, 2023 08:00

screw.jpg

2 Posts

October 4th, 2023 11:04

Turns out, I'm smarter than the average bear on this forum.

(edited)

2 Posts

October 4th, 2023 11:07

It must have at least 20 characters.

2 Posts

February 10th, 2024 19:37

Still no update with the correct screw sizes or Dell part numbers? I just bought five never used Wyse 5070s and can't put in an SSD. It's a joke the standoff and screw are not included in the package. The same goes for the standoff and screw for a Wifi kit. Why are those essential parts (that only cost a few cents) not included? Or at least provide the correct dimensions in the extended manual. You describe how to add an SSD but omit the required additional parts.

(edited)

2 Posts

March 2nd, 2024 15:57

The Dell support first tried to tell me, you can't install a M.2 SSD unless you ordered the Wyse 5070 with one installed. After I asked the support guy if he thinks I'm really that stupid, he admitted they're not allowed to provide any information about the standoff / screw. So I took it from a Wyse 5070 that came with an SSD and measured it.

The standoff is roughly 7.1mm total length with the two standoff parts being 4.1mm in total. The thread diameter is about 3.4mm so it appears to be 6-32.

Standard 6-32 standoffs usually start at 6mm length. So Dell knowingly uses a non standard part to force you to buy the SSD from the factory.

As I couldn't find a 6-32 x 4mm standoff, I ordered 6-32 x 5/16 screws and 6-32 x 4mm bushings. That should work fine.

At least, now I know what brand to avoid when buying Thin Clients in the future - new or used.

No Events found!