Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

August 1st, 2015 02:00

Can't get Ctrl or Alt keys to work from xoom bluetooth keyboard (for remote emacs).

Can't get Ctrl or Alt keys to work from xoom bluetooth keyboard (for remote emacs).

Hi.
I've successfully gotten pocketcloud to work from my xoom (running honeycomb) to my home linux system (fc14) via an ssh tunnel.

Everything so far has worked great (once I resolved some selinux issues), but I can't get the Ctrl and Alt keys on the Motorola bluetooth keyboard to work as expected in emacs.

I *can* get the virtual Ctrl and Alt keys to work as expected.
I.e., Menu -> Function keys -> Ctrl or Alt.
And with that I can generate C-x C-c or Alt-x or whatever that I need for emacs.
So that much is working.

But the physical Ctrl and Alt keys on the keyboard don't work.

I suspect the problem may be at a lower level as Alt-C will generate c with a squiggle underneath it, but I'm hoping some solution can be found on this forum.
Any suggestions for how to fix this?

Btw, feature request: It'd be really nice if I could have the virtual keyboard *and* the virtual Ctrl,Alt keys *at the same time* instead of having to switch back and forth. Blech.

2 Posts

August 1st, 2015 02:00

Re: Can't get Ctrl or Alt keys to work from xoom bluetooth keyboard (for remote emacs

Hi.
I'm filing this in case someone else goes searching for an answer.

I was having the same problem with android-vnc-viewer,
http://code.google.com/p/android-vnc-viewer/

Since I can get the source for it I ran it under the Eclipse debugger and determined that the problems are in the app.

1) The ctrl key isn't working because support for the ctrl key is new in the Android 3.0 SDK (API level 11). E.g., KeyEvent.META_CTRL_ON
2) The alt key isn't working because the code uses it for unicode support only.

I'm guessing similar reasoning applies to PocketCloud vnc.

Yo WYSE!
I have a few requests:

1) Please implement support for the ctrl key.
AIUI it is possible to do this and still have one app that works on all SDK levels.
[I.e., when run on platforms with SDK level 10 and lower ctrl would still not work,
but when run on platforms with SDK level 11 and greater it would work.]

2) Please provide a mode (or some other mechanism) that passes Alt to the app.
I can understand wanting to provide internationalization support and evidently
the Alt key is a common way to do this.
BUT, it's also useful to let the app that
one is running under vnc define how the Alt key is to be used (i.e. just pass it
through and let the remote app deal with it).

Anyways, I've hacked android-vnc-viewer and have Ctrl,Alt working the way I need them to, so that is what I am now using. I'd *like* to use PocketCloud, maybe one day I can again.

Thanks for listening.

500 Posts

August 6th, 2015 22:00

Thank you for the request. We are working on it

Best Regards

4 Posts

August 6th, 2015 22:00

I would like to echo the request. I like the app, but tried an external keyboard with it for the first time today. I was dissapointed when my shift, ctrl, and similar keys would not work.

No Events found!