Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

July 29th, 2015 00:00

New Feature Request

New Feature Request

New Feature Request

I am a new user, so if there is a feature request form I did not see it. I would like to use a use a Bluetooth barcode scanner to feed information into the current keyboard entry field.

Background.
In our factory we use for the inventory processes, such as inventory, picking, shipping, etc. For some of these processes we use windows .net programs, with identical programs written in windows ce. The goal of this exercise is to duplicate some of these processes without having to duplicate the code for a third time (4th if you count an aborted windows server attempt – too slow). As your development personnel can tell you, when you have two sets of code that to the same thing (android and ios) some poor smuck has to reconcile and merge the changes. I am trying to avoid that as much as possible because here that smuck is me. As to the hardware we use wireless scanners for some desktops and net books with scanners for things like inventory. The problem with this is that using with a net book and scanner requires two hands, and a wireless scanner still takes one.
Picture if you will an HTC EVO in a sport case on your wrist and a Bluetooth ring scanner. This would leave the picking and shipping personnel with both hands free, and greatly improve their efficiency. Even a handheld scanner will help, because the process information is available on their wrist.

Option 1:
When I read through the support forums I saw that there were some issues with locking of the internal keyboard if there was a Bluetooth keyboard already attached. Unpair before they can use the application seems like a poor option. If you are going to address this it would be nice to allow both the internal and Bluetooth keyboards. Depending on your code structure this should get my scanner at the same time.

Option 2:
I down loaded a product called GetBlue that receives the scan information and feed the information to a number of places, one of which is the keyboard. So if you allow a standard keyboard interface this option might work for me.

Option 3:
Throw out your program and write the blasted program again for android. Please don’t make me do this. 

Final Thoughts:
When I was the guy reviewing feature requests I used phrases like “not our target market” and “too disruptive for existing users” I also used the phrase “I don’t care what it costs I care what we make”. I submit to you that adding a barcode scanner to your existing product would allow your new customers to use the product in a warehouse setting. (the camera scanning is too slow for production). There are a lot of warehouses and factories in the country and scanning in this way would save them between $1,000 and $2,000 per PERSON. Check out the price of mobile computers with scanners.

Thanks for your time.
Tom

1.3K Posts

July 29th, 2015 00:00

Hi Tom, please put in a feature request for this here:
http://pocketcloudsupport.wyse.com/f...ts/entries/new

Our product team will review it and hopefully this is something they could implement into a future release.

Josh Maurer
Visit our Knowledge Base and Manuals web site at pocketcloudsupport.wyse.com

No Events found!